Tuesday, August 7, 2012

An Unwelcome Visitor


Yesterday morning, just before sun up, while I was sitting at my desk enjoying the cool morning air blowing in and my moment of quiet solitude the chickens started squawking.  I headed out onto the deck, in my nightie no less, to check it out.  I expected my daughter’s cat was taunting them and I was planning to get after him once again.

I could see wet footprints leading along the paved path to the garden, but they were much bigger than the cats and a quick check confirming the gate was closed meant it wasn’t the neighbor’s dog.  I rather suspected a raccoon. 

As I was standing on the deck looking around with my kitty, the wussy pussy, at my heels I didn’t see any critters.  Then all of a sudden this raccoon looms up from behind the toaster oven sitting on the deck and scares the living crap out of me.  Whoa! 

I quickly ushered wussy pussy into the house and we closed the door.  Then I opened the window and suggested he leave.  He just stared at me. 

Obviously he didn’t perceive me as much of a threat.  I watched him saunter across the deck, then the garden and finally onto the lawn and into our maple tree.  He sat in the tree and stared at me.  I told him to get lost and I seriously think he was laughing at me. 

I decided to move him along and headed out the front door, in my nightie, and turn the hose on him.  Apparently me grabbing the hose was enough motivation to slip over the fence and head off into the field behind our house. 

Cute and adorable as they are they are also a nuisance and I can see where this one may be a persistent problem if I don’t do something.  So I will be calling the county extension office to see if we can get him trapped and relocated.  I know we have them in the area and I know we may have several so we might be catching a few before all is said and done.

It certainly explains why my daughter’s cat has been so reluctant to go outside at night lately and some of the mess I see on the deck sometimes.  He’s been enjoying our apples from our tree too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...