Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kuchen

This Kuchen is made with applebutter and topped with a glaze.

My most favorite coffee cake to make and eat is a German Kuchen.  This recipe is not only easy and affordable but I love all the variations I can make of it.  This is a great way to use up last year’s jam and make way for this year’s preserves. 

Kuchen 

1½ c. flour*
2 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
¾ c. sugar
¼ c. oil
¾ c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 c. fruit preserves
Powdered sugar icing – optional 

Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Add oil, milk vanilla and egg.  Beat until thoroughly combined.  Pour into a lightly greased 8”X8” square baking pan.  Top batter with preserves.  Bake 40 to 50 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Drizzle with icing if desired.  Serve warm. 

*I like to use 1 cup flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour. 

The other day I topped this with peach jam and ½ cup of frozen blueberries.  Delicious!  We also love it made with apple butter (you could also add ¼ cup of raisins), raspberry jam, blackberry jam, strawberry jam (drizzle with a little cream cheese icing), even jelly works! 


I usually serve with a side of scrambled eggs or some homemade yogurt.  I encourage you to give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...