Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Five Months In


It is hard for me to believe we have been in our Tiny Home for five months now but we have!  Last month has definitely been our most challenging month so far, simply because of the weather.  And like a lot of other homeowners in town we dealt with a variety of cold related issues when the temperatures fell below zero. 

The most daunting was when our power was out for about an hour and a half.  With no heat and such cold weather (9°) it was inevitable that the water lines would freeze.  It took a couple of days for them to thaw completely.  We showered at friends and used our water jugs a lot but three days later everything was back to normal. 

Our refrigerator croaking was a major bummer but we cranked up the mini fridge outside and it is keeping our frozen foods frozen.  I continued to freeze water jugs outside overnight and use the dead fridge like a cooler.  In the meantime I was working on a more permanent solution come spring, but thankfully it started to run again and all is well.  We assume something froze during the power outage and it just took awhile for it to thaw and reset itself.  Or it was Divine intervention.  Either way I'm very happy about it. 

We've stayed nice and toasty warm inside.  Lots of blankets on our beds at night, warm socks and slippers, sweaters and hot tea and cocoa have helped a lot too.  We've only used the propane furnace a few times and the rest of the time stayed comfortable enough with our electric heaters.  Sometimes it got a little too toasty inside and we'd have to shut them off for awhile.  Can you imagine? 

I did learn that I am pretty dang tough and when I think I'm not that I have great friends to remind me that I am.  I really do appreciate that. 

Oh, a dust pan makes a pretty good snow shovel and I can chip ice with a broom handle. 

Funny thing, sort of.  I discovered last month that some people have a pretty strange perception about how things are.  Just from the comments that have been made to me recently, all well intended, I'm sure.   Hopefully.  This is what I've concluded in response: 
  • I live in my RV because that is what I want to do.
  • I am not poor.
  • If I wanted to buy another house, I would.
  • If I wanted to live in an apartment I would.
  • No one needs to find me another place to live.
  • I have heat.
  • Sometimes shit happens.  It happens to everyone
Hopefully that clears everything up. 

So now we begin month six and I say "Bring It On!".  Whoo hooo!

6 comments:

  1. It always amazes me the assumptions people make. I work very few shifts a month as my husband and I decided a long time ago to work around his shift work. I have had other moms(and co-workers) say "Must be nice!" as though we are so wealthy I don't have to work. I let them know that we sacrifice things in order for me to be home.

    I think it is great that you are not afraid to try something outside the "norm"....as sadly the norm seems to be drowning in debt and trying to impress people who do not matter.

    You are right, no matter where we live, in a house, trailer, tent, whatever, things break down, stuff needs replacing. C'est la vie!!!

    Keep on being true to yourself. I am loving reading your blog. It is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know what to assume is... :) One of my friends told me I don't have to justify myself to anyone. You know what? He is absolutely right. Glad you are here Theresa. I love hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad things are working out and that your pipes are unfreezing. Sounds like you have good friends, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am very blessed to have wonderful friends!

      Delete
  3. You know what though? Even if you WERE poor and had "no choice" what business is it of anyone elses? I LOVE some of the tiny homes I see! I love it when you post them 'cause I find them so inviting and 'homey'... obviously for my family, they wouldn't fly, but when it's just hubby & I, i'll be going "small" as well! :) Soldier on... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a larger family it would be a whole different story. Even still, I don't think I'd be interested in a big house with big debt. I've always loved smaller homes. They really do seem cozier.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...