Monday, October 19, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I used a cup of leftover pumpkin puree to make 4 dozen mini muffins.  I served some for Sunday brunch and we ate the rest throughout the week for our breakfast and snacks.

I used our shreddables to start a fire in our firepot.  We collected sticks that had fallen in the yard after a big windstorm for kindling and some scrap wood.  We'll add the ashes to the compost bin later on.


I cut the top off a milk jug to make a new collection container for our compost bin.  I keep it under the sink and empty it into our bin when it gets full.  I added the old one to our recycle bin.

I had one and half pork chops leftover from Sunday dinner so I chopped it up to make fried rice.  There was also a small dish of peas & carrots which I added in too.  This allowed me to save the chicken breast I had originally planned to use in the rice for another meal.

Sunday Dinner

I veered from our menu plan one evening.  I had 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes from Sunday dinner and 1/2 a cup of gravy so I used up along with a few other things to make us a shepherd's pie.  By the end of the week we had used up all of our leftovers and had no food waste.

We continued to do our free online yoga classes.  We also watched a Duran Duran concert on YouTube for free and listened to music.  I started re-watching the series Covert Affairs.  Love that show.

I ordered my oldest a new winter coat from JC Penney online.  It was on sale and then I received an extra 20% OFF.  I had it sent to the store at the mall so the shipping would be free.  The original price on the coat was $125 and after the sale price and discounts it ended up being 59.99.  Not too shabby, I think.


I used the proceeds from egg sales to purchase two 50# bags of feed for them for the winter.  Good job ladies!

I collected peppers and tomatoes from the garden.  Can you believe that our garden is still producing?  We fed our kitchen scraps to the chickens.  I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, garlic skins, egg shells and potato peels.

I did not do any grocery shopping this week.

The chickens blessed us with 26 eggs!

How thrifty were you last week?



2 comments:

  1. You had a very thrifty week! I chuckled because I also used up about a cup of leftover mashed butternut squash in my fridge to make muffins. Last time I made bread with it (using my banana bread recipe) and the kids wouldn't really eat it. This time I used cupcake wrappers with balloons on them (dollar store!) and made muffins instead (same exact recipe) and wouldn't you know it- they just gobbled them up! Amazing how that happens, huh? :)
    You made me smile about the bags of feed for the chickens- those feathery girls can teach my kiddos lessons about earning their keep. Haha.
    My husband made a fire pit in our yard yesterday and we used our shreddables also for burning. We also have lots of woods behind our house so there are always branches and twigs to collect and use. The kids had fun roasting marshmallows and my son even wanted to "cook dinner" by roasting up a bunch of hot dogs. Night off from cooking for momma! ;)
    By the way, now I have the song "Hungry Like The Wolf" playing over and over in my head. Thank you. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! LOL. Nothing like a little earworm to get you through your day. It amazes me how many things we do alike. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...