Monday, February 29, 2016

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I asked a friend of mine to pick up a 2# package of yeast for me the next time she went to Costco.  She bartered two dozen eggs for it so I didn't have to pay her back.  Win-win for both of us.

I made two loaves of whole wheat bread.  I kept one loaf and shared the other.

After cooking pork roast the week before I poured all of the luscious pan drippings and broth into a mixing bowl and put it in the fridge.  The next day I took it out and removed the layer of fat that had come to the surface and solidified.  I melted the fat, added scratch grains to it and put it in a cool whip container.  It is now in the freezer waiting for me to give it to the chickens for Easter.

The remaining pork broth was divided in half and frozen.  It will be delicious used in recipes that call for chicken broth, I think.

We watched a Masterpiece Theatre mini series on YouTube and a movie from our DVD collection.


I found and purchased another Saks Fifth Avenue sweater on eBay for $19.99.  The shipping was a little high at $7 but it came priority mail.  The total spent was still a bargain.  For a few months now I've been looking for one to replace my current, and favorite, black sweater that is fading and starting to wear.  I've had the hardest time finding just the right one so I decided to go online.  This one is perfect and dressy enough for work.  It is a style that will go well with so many things I already have in my wardrobe and of course the color, well you just can't go wrong with black.  I am just thrilled with it.


Speaking of sweaters, you probably remember the gray one I bought last week was missing a hook and eye.  I took a set out of my sewing stash and with a needle and thread stitched them on.  Now it is good as new and ready to wear.  I love it.


I did not do any grocery shopping this week.

I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, onion skins, garlic skins, eggs shells, a small piece off a broccoli stem and banana peels.  We shared our kitchen scraps with the chickens and they blessed us with a dozen eggs.

I washed out two quart size Ziploc bags to reuse.

I did another Fred Meyer survey and earned 50 bonus points toward a future fuel discount.

Broccoli Beef

Friday evening we cleaned up all of the leftovers in the refrigerator by enjoying a buffet of assorted items for supper.  It was definitely interesting, but also quite delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...