Monday, February 1, 2016

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


Sunday I made two loaves of homemade oat bread and a pan of brownies.  Neither one seemed to stick around very long.  They seldom do.

I sewed up a cute little table square to set my kerosene lamp on.  I had this cute scrap of fabric and it was too small to make much, but it was perfect for this.  I also used leftover black fabric and batting from another project and machine quilted it.  It was fun little project and now I want to make a couple more of them.


I had used one of the travel size pillows I had bought us for camping to make a throw pillow as a Christmas gift for a friend.  With the full intention of replacing it next time I found myself in Walmart too.  Instead I took some muslin I had and made a pillow using the same technique I used for those throw pillows I had made.  Funny thing is, I used the leftover quilt batting and polyfil from that project to make it with and now I've replaced it without spending a dime.  And saved myself a trip to Walmart to boot. J

Instead of making the lasagna I had planned for Sunday dinner I ended up boiling fresh pasta and combining it with an assortment of leftover pasta sauces I had in the fridge and freezer.  I topped it with cheese and baked it.  It turned out delicious and a great way to use up some leftovers.

It is hard to read around here without a cat or two

I ordered a book from the county library to be held for me at the main one downtown.  I picked it up Tuesday and dropped off one I'd finished.  I love that we have this service which saves me a lot of time, not to mention fuel, from having to make trips all over town to check out and return library books.

I did not shop for anything this week.  It was a lovely feeling staying out of the stores.


I signed up for a free sample of assorted teas to be sent to me.  It has been a long time since I've signed up for a freebie. J

I cleaned and reorganized the refrigerator.  I love it when it is all neat and tidy inside.

On Friday we watched a couple of movies on YouTube for free.

I composted coffee grounds, tea bags and egg shells.  We fed our kitchen scraps to the chickens and they blessed us with 11 eggs this week.

How was your thrifty week?





5 comments:

  1. Your brownies look so tempting! Tomorrow I am baking a winter warm lemon cake. nom nom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a sucker for lemon stuff. I'd love to have your recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric you used for the potholder. And your daughter is very pretty. I can't believe how old they are getting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are growing up so fast. High school orientation last night, college planning, oh my gosh!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...