After removing them from their wobbly perch the young one and I got busy and removed the hardware before getting after them with a piece of medium fine sandpaper. It took a lot of elbow grease and a putty knife to get the surfaces smooth and the old numbers scraped off. Especially the neighbor's. It was pretty rough and originally harvest gold. Go figure.
|Our faded green one and our neighbor's rusty multi colored one|
We used Claret Wine spray paint which matches the trim on our respective houses perfectly. It looks really red in the pictures, but it actually is more burgandy. After several light coats, inside and out we left them all day to dry. We cleaned up the hardware and got it put back on that evening.
|Sanded, cleaned and drying in the sun|
I figured I'd have to take the numbers back and then go somewhere else to search for new numbers. Not what I was hoping to do on Memorial Day. I really wanted to be done with this. Then I figured I'd just make a stencil and use the black spray paint I already have in the garage and just spray the numbers on. Duh! Why didn't I just think of that in the first place.
|The young one learned how to spray paint|
We reinforced the post so it wouldn't wobble any more with a couple more long screws and then the mailboxes were put back in place. What an amazing difference! I took before and after pictures to show our neighbor since she is pretty much housebound and won't get to see them until one of her kids picks her up for a doctor appointment.
|All dry and ready for hardware and numbers|