Thursday, April 12, 2018

Keto Meal Prepping



This is my first full on meal prepping session since I started eating a ketogenic diet.  In the past couple of weeks I could see the value in doing this as I was feeling like I really needed a plan.  I'm just that way I guess and with keto it is harder to just wing it.  At least for me anyway.

I cleared out pretty much everything from the veggie bin too

I started out by making up a meal plan based solely on what I already had in the house.  Which if you remember from my grocery shopping posts, is quite a bit.  I had plenty to choose from.  Once I'd outlined my plan, which also included some leftovers from Saturday, I got to work.

First I pulled out two packages of ground beef, three chicken breast halves and a package of pork chops from the freezer.  I defrosted the chicken in the microwave and then the ground beef.  The pork chops were for supper that evening so I let them defrost on their own.




I took two of the chicken breasts and sliced them across to make medallions.  Seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder on post sides I cooked them in olive oil in my cast iron skillet.  After cooking on one side I turned them over and topped each one with a little bit of pesto.  Once done I put them on a plate to cool before placing them in a dish for the refrigerator.


Riced cauliflower





Next I got out the wok and diced up the remaining chicken which I cooked with half a sliced onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried ginger.  Then some fresh riced caulifower and a half a head of cabbage I'd sliced nice and thin.  I also grated a handful of baby carrots to add some color.  I season that with soy sauce (wheat free) and Thai chile paste.  Once that cooled I put some in a dish for my lunch and the rest in a larger container for the refrigerator.



In the same pan I cooked the chicken medallions in I cooked up one of the packages of ground beef and added a half a packet of leftover Taco seasoning.  Super easy and once that was cooked I drained off the fat and placed it in containers, one for my lunch and supper and the rest for the girls.





The last package of hamburger went into a mixing bowl for stuffed bell peppers, recipe coming soon.  I cut peppers into thirds, stuffed them with meat mixture and placed them in a baking dish.  I also placed half a bag of carrots into a small baking dish with olive oil, salt and pepper and put that into the oven to bake together.  After thirty minutes I added a baking dish full of broccoli florets I'd tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  By the time the peppers were done so were the veggies.


I allowed everything to cool, put the lid on the peppers and carrots, transferred the broccoli to a refrigerator dish and then into the refrigerator.  The leftover deep dish pizza bake (recipe coming) wash divided into containers for lunches and everything was organized and tucked into the refrigerator.


All I had to do later that day was prepare some rice for the girls, cook the pork chops and reheat the broccoli and Sunday dinner was on the table.  The rest of the week simply reheat and eat.  I'm sure I made too much food as I tend to do, but the nice thing is that everything I made can be frozen so if the leftovers get to be too much I'll just pop them into the freezer and enjoy them later.



8 comments:

  1. Oh, you are good. I need to plan ahead and try this, especially on a keto diet now. Having a variety makes this way of eating easier to do. (I dreamed about pineapple cake last night!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I need a day at home with no Mom distractions to do some serious freezer cooking. Of course I need to use the stuff already in the freezer as ingredients for said cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I'm always amazed at how much I get done when the girls are gone. And it isn't like they bug me or get in my way either, because they are at that age now where they don't.

      Delete
  3. Love this post. I too, cook ahead. It makes things so much easier when I'm busy, sick or just not in the mood to cook.
    I have to tell you that those lasagna mushrooms were a huge hit! It was so good, I'm adding it to next week's meal plan too...lol. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your meal planning tips! I have learned a lot from the way you approach cooking for your week. I'm far from perfect, but dinner is on the table a lot more frequently these days without so much 5pm "What am I going to make for dinner?!?" drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can help! So happy to hear this. Thank you.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...