Tuesday, May 1, 2018

April Thrifty Wrap Up



I began April with $6 in my checking account, a dollar in my wallet, a quarter tank of gas in the car and just over that in my truck.  Honestly, not bad really.  I wasn't concerned as payday was on the horizon (with overtime pay!) and we had loads of groceries, toiletries, household supplies and pet supplies.  So far 2018 has been a very good year for us, both financially and for stocking up.  I am truly blessed.

I began the month in my usual fashion.  Bills and savings first, then grocery shopping and other things.  The first paycheck of the month a certain portion heads directly into my retirement savings and then I sit and pay all of our monthly bills ahead of their due dates.  Next I set aside the grocery budget, top off the gas tank and decide what to do with what is leftover.  Mid month I pay our mortgage payment early, usually two to three weeks early, add more to savings and then again decide what to do with what is leftover.  April was no exception.


Overtime pay on both paychecks allowed me a few extras this month.  I was able to allow myself to go over budget a little bit on groceries although I used all of those funds wisely.  I did my best to make sure I was spending the least amount possible for the items we needed and wanted.  I used a lot of digital coupons at Fred Meyer and Albertsons and did a good sized shop at Winco for the items I knew were less money there than at other stores.  I also hit up Trader Joe's for items they sell that are good quality at low prices too.  I find myself buying a lot of produce there.  Finding good deals on markdown meats has been a huge money saver for me lately.

At the first of the month, despite the cooler temperatures and rainy weather, I shut off our main heat source and we relied solely on our infrared heater and the electric fireplace.  It was plenty to take the chill off as we eagerly awaited warmer weather.  By mid month we stopped using all additional heat sources and welcomed the sunny warmer weather when it finally arrived.  This will dramatically impact our electric bill next month and I'll be very happy about that.


I topped off both gas tanks this month despite the drastic rise in fuel prices.  Because of that I was extra mindful of our fuel use and made sure to combine errands and run them when en route to other places, such as doctor appointments, as much as possible.  I use the eco mode on my car all the time to conserve as much fuel as I possibly can.  And whenever possible we just stayed home.

The biggest money saver of the month was to do a couple kitchen updates for literally no money out of pocket.  I'm hoping to continue with more home projects in the same fashion.  I used a lot of items I already had on hand including wood I'd gleaned from the FREE WOOD bin located near my work.  I used a $50 gift card I earned last summer by participating in a wellness program at work to purchase a new range hood at Lowes.  I also signed up to earn another $25 Visa gift card by participating in another program in May.  I am not only proud of not spending money on those projects, but I'm also very proud of the results.  Beautiful!

I have more plans around the house as the year progresses.  And more money saving ideas as well.  Onward and upward!


2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...