Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Gearing Up For Back To School



It's that time again.  Marching Band Camp is in full swing for my oldest and the youngest just started Cheer Camp this week.  Registration for both of them is this week also.  Can anyone say, ca-ching, ca-ching?!

You know how I said I was planning to spend my $10 a month throughout the summer collecting items I found on sale for the girl's to use in their packed lunches?  Yeah, well that didn't happen.  I completely forgot all about it.


So I sat down one evening and did a Prime Pantry order instead and I think I got a pretty good deal on some lunch items.  I picked up 64 juice boxes, 58 granola bars, 32 Pop-Tarts and 16 Rice Krispies Treats and came in just under $33.  I thought that was pretty darn good.

I did happen to pick up a few boxes of crackers and some Oreos for 99¢ each on sale at Albertsons a couple months back.  Not a bad way to start packing lunches for the new school year I'd say.

I got these on sale or only 99¢ each at the first of June

These last month for only 99¢ each
I'd like to think they are a healthier alternative to chips

Last week the youngest and I headed off to shop for a couple pair of pants for her to wear to school.  She has to wear a uniform and has plenty of tops, but would like a couple more pair of bottoms.  We went to a few thrift stores and scored a pair of black Wrangler denim jeans for $4.99.  We have time to keep shopping for another pair.

The oldest needs nothing after my big thrift store haul at the beginning of summer.  They are both well set for shoes, coats, hats & gloves too.  They also have back packs and lunch bags to reuse this year.


Last month at Albertsons I picked up eight spiral notebooks and an extra package of notebook paper for the school supply bin.  That is all I plan to get this year as far as school supplies are concerned.  My oldest found a new large 3" three ring binder at Goodwill for 99¢ last month too to replace her old worn out one.  They are normally $7.99 each at the store so that was a really good find.

It is coming up quick.  How are your back-to-school preparations coming along?



4 comments:

  1. We are at the point where the kids need little more than pens, pencils and composition books. (The schools don't allow spirals.) I think I have almost enough of those, as I purchased a good amount several years ago when they were about $0.39 each. Eldest is taking all but one of his h.s. classes this year at the community college, so the major expense will be gas to campus, and BOOKS. Oh. My. Goodness. But as long as he stays motivated, I will pay it happily! As for clothing, I told them they have one more week to tell me what they need, and join us on errands to get it. Yesterday youngest DS opted to run errands with us, where he picked up a pair of shoes, and a shirt. Basically, if I see clothing I think they will like at a great price, I pick it up throughout the year. Only DD is really keen on doing official "back to school clothes shopping," but I am not going to chase her down to take her. As far as lunches, it sounds cruel, but I put $50/year in the school accounts for each kid, (I thought $25 was generous, but DH overruled me) to cover emergencies, and when that's gone, it's gone. They can take a lunch, or starve, as far as I am concerned. I am up to make breakfast, anything they want, and will pack a lunch for anybody who wants it. I even take grocery list requests! Usually, it's only youngest who will take a lunch...I guess the others go hungry. My biggest expense in that regard is bottled water, as they all keep at least one unopened bottle in their backpacks. I could do reusable bottles, but some teacher stick to the "only clear bottles" rule, so I splurge on the bottles. I do stock up on when it's loss leader. I refuse to buy it during the summer, though, as the kids will grab a bottle rather than filling a glass from the tap. So, I hope bottled water goes on sale soon, as we are out!
    School starts Sept. 4, which I think is a sane start date. I wish my kids liked school as much as I did back in the day--oh, I didn't like the social aspect so much in k-12, but loved academics, research, and writing papers. I really enjoyed my college years, even the social experience. My kids don't seem to enjoy any aspect of school, really. As such, I am sad when school starts. And, even if they did like school, I really enjoy having them home in the summer, with little to no obligation. If it weren't for school starting, fall would be my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't do any back to school clothing shopping either and my kids have to make their lunches, I burned out on it a couple years ago. Plus, they are quite capable. None of us like to eat first thing in the morning so I do try to stock some grab and go items for them to take with them.

      Delete
  2. Great job, looks like you're ready! I've been cleaning out my basement and have found enough notebooks that my son won't need any, possibly ever! But last year, Walmart had marked folders and notebooks down to five cents a pop, so I loaded up and stashed those in his room, so actually he'll be good until he's in college. We'll pick up anything else he needs- a binder for Choir, I'm sure- after we find out what he needs. I can't believe the summer is just about over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either. The time goes so fast. Sounds like you are ready too. I love to hit the clearance sales after school starts and stock up on the really good buys.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...