Friday, April 12, 2019

Graduation Announcements & Saving My $$



As you all pretty well know my oldest daughter is graduating from high school this year.  Hard to believe, but true.  The class ring and announcement rep visited the school and my daughter didn't even bother to bring home the brochures because at $6.95 each for the cheapest ones she knew full well I wouldn't go for it.  And she's correct.

We made our own!  And to be honest I think they are much better than anything we could've purchased.  Plus they are tailor made, just for her.  I wish I could show you how I made these and all the cool details, but there is too much of her personal info on them that I'm sure she doesn't want on public display so I'll just have to tell you about it.  And you know how much it cost to make these?

Nothing!


My daughter is a math whiz so for the background we did a parabolic cure as a watermark.  That part I can show you.  Then I used Microsoft Publisher and a blank postcard template to make the announcement.  I was able to grab the school logo online and add it in along with all the pertinent information and dress it up with different fonts and font sizes.  Once it was completed and we both proofed it we were ready to print.

I used white cardstock to print four per page and ran it through our old printer, first the background and then the announcement itself.  Once printed I used my paper cutter to cut them to size.  Invitation envelopes I already had on hand will be used to mail them out.


I made up the invitations to her graduation party pretty much the same way, printed them out on colored paper I already had on hand and cut those to size as well.  We will be tucking those inside with the announcements.

I made her some return address labels with the school logo on them and some Class Of 2019 labels to seal the envelopes with.  I already had blank label stock in my stash to use for those.

The last thing to complete was her photo collage and get those pictures printed up at Walgreens.  I had an online code to save 50% OFF on the printing and regular price is only 33¢ each, but half price is even better!

Walgreens has loads of templates to help you put something together
I opted to use my own design, but if you don't want the hassle check these out

The only thing left to get is stamps and that is going to be the most expensive part of the process with postage currently at 50¢.  So for less than a dollar we are going to send out the announcement with an invitation and a photo.  I'd say that is much more affordable than $6.95!  And that was just for the announcement itself.  You still have to put a stamp on it!

I love graphic design so this was one of those projects I thoroughly loved doing.  Tapping into my creative side while saving a ton of money is the best!  Plus I stayed true to one of my goals by using up what I already have on hand and my other goal of spending less.  And another big project is marked off the list!  Yes!



28 comments:

  1. Good for you! I love that you created a personalized graduation announcement and invitation for your beautiful daughter. I did something similar years ago when my girls graduated - they loved it! Best wishes to her as she experiences this milestone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is so beautiful!! And I love how you got the announcements just the way you both wanted. You are so creative! I sit here with my hand stitching and think it is not much, but then I think about all the creative things you do and I'm glad I'm following your example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful girl you have, well, actually two beautiful girls. I love that you are teaching them to be frugal and your announcements are probably better! Honestly, no one needs a class ring. Mine is in a jewelry box somewhere as is my hubby's. Class rings are EXPENSIVE! If I had to do it over, I would never have bought a ring - what a racket. I heard someone say if a grad really wants a ring to remind them of high school graduation, get one with a pretty stone or Black Hills gold that they'll wear for life. I enjoy your posts so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam. I have to agree, it is a bit of a racket. They charge so much for all of this stuff.

      Delete
  4. She is so beautiful! Happy graduation!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can’t wait for details on the party. I love how you do things frugally and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, I know how expensive senior year can be. Your daughter is beautiful and you should be a very proud mom- you did well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so pretty!
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dana,

    Your daughter is so beautiful and she has the sweetest, kindest expression.
    You must be filled with pride and such Joy. While I'm relatively new to your blog, I have, over time, read it from the beginning and it is very touching to see the cute, clever little girl you used to talk about becoming such a beautiful and accomplished young woman.

    As always, I love your handiwork: You are so clever! If you ever wanted to change professions, you could turn your hand to just about anything!

    Love,
    Heloise xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heloise. My girls are definitely my pride and joy of late. And they are keeping me hopping!

      Delete
  9. Your daughter is so beautiful! and beautiful on the inside also, which is more important. Great job on the announcements, invitations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely picture. She has brains and beauty. A WONDERFUL combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to your daughter on her impending graduation! And you too, Mom! Both of you have put in plenty of work to make this day the wonderful achievement that it is!
    Love your invitations! Neither of my kids wanted school-sourced ones, either. And as for a class ring, they didn't want them, either. We got my son a watch and my daughter a piece of jewelry of her choosing. So they both have mementos of the occasion, but they are practical and don't scream "high school"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. My daughter didn't want a class ring either. Just a party to celebrate the occasion.

      Delete
  12. I admire you!! I am not sure I could have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your daughter is beautiful and congrats! for her upcoming graduation. I love that you guys made your own announcements!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration to all! You’re not only saving $, you are creating things that reflect your family's uniqueness! Now that the first class rate is $.55, every penny counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you tons! Can you believe the cost of postage?! It just keeps creeping!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...