Monday, April 8, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



My entire week was a little bit off kilter.  After taking my little kitty into the vet to be put to sleep the Friday before I struggled all weekend and was still a little teary about it driving into work on Monday.  No matter how well you prepare yourself for the inevitable it still hurts like hell.  By the end of the week though I was doing much better.  Thank you all, once again, for all your kind words.  You have no idea how much that has helped me. 😊

This makes me so happy!

Whenever I'm upset about something I have a tendency to clean.  It is my way of attempting to restore order.  Needless to say my garage has never looked better and I had all my chores for the week, including some of the kid's chores, all done on Sunday.  Throughout the week I attacked those little nooks and crannies that tend to get overlooked.  I purged papers.  Again.  I even did some stuff in Laverne.  Not much, but a little bit. 

This little nugget has scarcely left my side
It always amazes me how they know when you need some extra lovin'

Last Wednesday I set out a nearly full trash bin at the curb for collection.  This week I'll be setting out the overflowing recycle bin and will be happy to have that monstrosity out of the garage.  The only other thing out there left to deal with is that stack of empty bins, but it looks like my oldest will be putting some to use and whatever is leftover is going to a friend.

A mini haul from Fred Meyer
The K cups were on sale and I had a $1 OFF coupon!

Life was fairly "normal" throughout the week.  Monday my youngest had a violin lesson, my oldest had Senior Skip Day.  She stayed home and did homework and then went off to work.  Tuesday I put gas in the car, picked up the young one from cheer practice, stopped in at Fred Meyer for some fresh produce and then we went over to the feed store to get a 50# bag of chicken food.  Errands completed in one fell swoop.


Wednesday evening the youngest and I went over to the high school for a college fair.  Yep, the process is about to start all over again with her now.  Yay for me.  My oldest daughter has received all of her acceptance and rejection notifications from the colleges she has applied to and now needs to make a decision.  She and I had a little meeting and went over everything and talked $$.  I think we've come up with a pretty good plan.  She is going to make her final decision by the end of the month and we'll proceed from there.


Thursday was cheer practice so I picked up the girl after work and Friday was their yearend cheering showcase with the high school cheerleaders and dance team.  Phew!  We made it through another cheer season.  But wait, there's more up ahead.  We only thought we were done....  Oh my goodness!

I found T-bones for $4.99 a pound!  Whoo hooo!

Along with our jam packed week I also worked quite a bit of overtime last week.  We are getting ready for a big software upgrade at the end of May and with my IT experience my new boss is having me write up a new manual for our department.  I love to do technical writing so I'm really excited about this project.  We are also swamped with work so I may have some overtime opportunities for quite a while.  With upcoming college expenses to meet I'm incredibly grateful for this.

I used lemon gelatin & blueberries

Saturday morning I slept in until 6:30, got up, made a Keto Cheesecake, and then tidied up my kitchen a little bit.  I took the youngest over to the school to catch a bus to Boise State for Bronco Day.  She got a tour of the campus, was able to talk to some of the professors, hung out with the football players and cheerleaders and got a good introduction to the university.  She was gone all day and had a fabulous time.  They fed her twice and gave her a big bag of loot too.  Lucky girl!


While she was gone I headed back home to get busy and put together a big salad and some mini quiches because when you've had a crazy busy, hectic week and your heart hurts you invite your girlfriends over for lunch and sit around talking, telling stories and laughing your butt off.  And that is exactly what we did!  I am so fortunate to have the friends that I have.

This should hold us for a little while

After they left my oldest needed to get in some drive time.  She is taking her final driving test in less than two weeks!  We picked up the youngest from her school and then we headed to Wal-mart and picked up a few grocery items to get us through the week ahead.  Then home to put my feet up and relax.  Which is precisely how I ended my week.  Needless to say I was exhausted and by 10:00 I was headed off to bed.


Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - vacuumed & mopped floors, super scrubbed the toilet, washed bathroom rug.  Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed floor, wiped down table & chairs, windowsill & chair rail.

Kitchen -  vacuumed & mopped floor, cleaned both coffeemakers, bleached the coffee pot, our coffee cups & the sink.  Cleaned the range hood over the stove.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted, scrubbed the toilet, sink & tub.  Daily swish & swipe.

Other - three loads of laundry, dusted & vacuumed living room, hallway & entry, mopped the entry way.  Swept front porch.

Love shiny clean floors 😁

How was your thrifty week?




4 comments:

  1. We call our kitty a "nugget" too! I am not surprised yours stuck close to you--he is grieving the loss of his buddy and needs comforting just as much. You'll both have to get used to the "new normal." Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's been a year since we had to put our beloved boy down, and I miss him still. He left way too early (he was 8; it was feline interstitial cystitis)
    Looks like you are going to be even busier in the weeks/months ahead. You are definitely the Queen of getting things done (and done right)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. We are finding our new normal. Oh my, your kitty was way too young. I lost one at 6 to kidney failure. We still miss him too. Little buggers really worm their way into our hearts, don't they.

      The next two months are going to fly by. We have so much going on, it's insane.

      Delete
  2. For some reason my comments keep getting eaten up so I'll try again!

    I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your kitty. I've had pets all my life and it never gets easier when they pass, it's so painful.

    Congratulations on your eldest getting accepted to colleges, I know she has worked hard for it! Acceptance rates in California colleges have gone dramatically down in the past couple years and high school students are really stressed about it. I feel for them, even with stellar GPA's and extracurriculars they are still rejected :(

    That keto cheesecake looks so good!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I checked my spam box and not in there. :(

      Thank you so much. I thought I was better prepared because he was so old and all, but NOPE! Little buggers get in your heart and thats all there is to it.

      Thank you, thank you. It has been A LOT of work to be sure. And I agree, it is a lot harder to get in, definitely. Probably why those celebs felt it necessary to do what they did. Very sad.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...