Friday, April 5, 2019

Hair Care & Saving My $$



When it comes to hair and caring for our hair none of us in this house really spends a lot of time or money.  We find that a good haircut goes a long way in keeping an affordable coif.  In my younger years I spent a great deal of time and money on my hair, however, as I've grown older I've learned a thing or two.


I typically get my hair cut twice a year and I trim my own bangs in between cuts.  My girls do the same.  A cut right before school starts and another one midyear.  I trim their bangs as well and I still cut my youngest's hair as her style is very simple.  My oldest now pays for her own trips to the salon.  Whenever possible we take advantage of any coupons or specials our salon is offering at the time we make our appointments


I no longer color my hair.  When I decided to go Keto I decided to give up hair color as well.  It didn't make sense to me to put strong chemicals onto my scalp when I was trying to improve my life and health by limiting my exposure to unhealthy products.  So now when I go to the salon it is a simple shampoo, cut and blow dry.

I got the shampoo & conditioner on sale and with a coupon

Over the years I've used a lot of various product to wash and style my hair.  Now I just stick to the basics and only use shampoo and conditioner.  The product I use isn't anything special.  I find that Suave works just fine and I usually purchase it when it is on sale and I have a coupon too.  I use a minimal amount of the product so it lasts a long time and I don't wash my hair every day as it really doesn't need it.  My girls wash theirs every other day while I wash only once or twice a week and rinse in between if needed.  Any more than that and my scalp gets really itchy and irritated.  My stylist recommended I take the "Low Poo" approach and it has really worked well for me.


We seldom use a hair dryer and allow our hair to air dry.  I do use a flat iron to curb my crazy cowlick and tame some wiry gray hairs.  I use a Revlon flat iron and it seems to do the job just fine.  My girls occasionally use a flat or curling iron on their hair as well, but for the most part they wear it straight.


I picked up a couple curling irons on clearance at Christmas time as well as a couple flat irons.  I gave the girls the curling irons and a flat iron as gifts and kept one flat iron for myself as I've had mine for awhile and I assume it will likely give up one of these days.  Having one on hand to replace it will save me from feeling the need to run out for a replacement and pay full price.


I know some people have strong opinions when it comes to hair care and the products to use.  We choose to keep it relatively simple and very affordable.  We always look nice and no one has any issues to be concerned with so in our case I think the simple approach works very well.  I'm just appreciative to have healthy hair and a happy scalp.



13 comments:

  1. I have an extremely dry scalp from lupus, so I use Head & Shoulders (or, the generic kind). I buy it on sale whenever possible, use a minimal amount, and only wash my hair 2x/week.

    A few years ago, I treated myself to a higher power blow dryer that shaves about 7-10 minutes/day of drying time. It's amazing & makes my hair dry a little smoother. This means minimal after drying work. I usually just wash, dry for 3-5 minutes, and go. If I'm doing something special, I may run the flat iron over my hair, but that's not an every day thing.

    I get my hair cut 1-2x/year, and don't color. That said, my hair has turned terribly ashy & gray tinted over the past year & I have struggled with it. I may change my mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less washing and less product have made a big difference with my scalp issues. I like the no muss, no fuss approach myself. I too am trying to embrace the gray. :)

      Delete
  2. I do not have lovely hair and clean and somewhat presentable is all I really care about. I am not product loyal and buy whatever is cheapest, plus I am also a self hair cutter, so no real money is ever spent at the salon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another place to try to get reasonably priced hair care products and dryers and irons is TJ Maxx or Marshall's. My daughter is a hair stylist and can go to a professional store for stuff and gets a discount, but I am very frugal about spending top dollar on hair stuff.
    Very sorry to hear about your cat. Take care. Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. And thank you for letting me know about those stores. I hadn't ever thought of them for that kind of thing.

      Delete
  4. I admit that I do spend the money to buy good shampoo, conditioner and oils for my hair. My hair reaches past my elbows and the cheaper products just do not leave my hair the way I like it. My husband and sons with short hair are fine with the cheaper products. They don’t mind. I don’t use heating appliances on my hair, I let it air dry. When I want it curly, I have my husband braid it for me and when it dries I take out the braids for great waves. I am extremely frugal in that I have not spent a penny at the salon in years. My husband gave me a haircut shortly after we first started dating, best I remember getting and I informed him he was now my stylist. A couple years later after we became engaged, I attempted to give my boys home haircuts, got flustered and had him finish them up. It has been his job every since. My sons get haircuts every three to four weeks and I take a seat for hubby to trim my hair roughly every 8-10 weeks to remove the split/damaged ends and keep my hemline neat. He does a great job and he gives haircuts to my mom and two of my friends, these ladies are very picky about their hair, so I know they would never have asked him the first time, let alone have him keep cutting their hair if he didn’t do a nice job. I don’t mind sharing my stylist with my mom and friends, besides it gives him extra practice. So being I am saving over a grand a year skipping the barbershop and salon, I figure I am doing well keeping costs under control, so I don’t mind paying extra for good products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You are so lucky to have your own stylist. I'm jealous. I'd get the nice hair products too if I were you. I'm fortunate in that I can get away with the cheap stuff, but I do recognize it doesn't work for everyone.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I am very fortunate, and I really appreciate his talents whenever I see a friend, acquaintance or even a stranger out in public that has a bad haircut. I got really bad haircuts done on my sons at the barbershop multiple times each, that is why I bought a set of Wahl clippers (that I only used once) and I had my share of crying in my car after a bad salon haircut. So yes I am spoiled, and now cannot fathom going to a salon just because they have a coupon, when I got bad salon haircuts I paid good money for. My best friend started having my husband cut her hair as she needed a haircut, it had been a long time time since her last one at the salon that screwed up her hair, and she complimented me on my hair and asked where I had it done. I told her and she turned to my husband and asked him if he could give her a haircut. He said sure, not a problem. She liked the haircut and asked if he could continue to cut her hair for her, she would pay him. He said yes, but said he would not take her money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful. You know you those clippers paid for themselves with the first cut and now you owe them money! Ha, ha!

      Delete
    2. I paid about $50 for that good set of Wahl clippers and yes, I only used them once. But my husband has used them to give my two boys haircuts as well as for use in cutting his hair as well for the last six plus years. So they have been used in over 200 haircuts, they have cost less than 25 cents per haircut and their cost continues to decrease. So they were an excellent investment. I wish I had put the money I would have paid for the haircuts in a bank account and saved it, I would have thousands. But I used the dollars not spent for food, clothes, gas for my car and paying other bills. My husband has used his Japanese steel hair shears, $120 initial cost, to give hundreds more haircuts. They were paid for with just two of my haircuts. He sharpens them himself on a flat hone (he paid $250 for) to keep them sharp. He sharpens shears, knives and other tools on it. Good tools are not a cost, they are an investment. So keeping them sharp and oiled to work properly protects that investment. If the clippers could talk, they would thank us for the cleaning, oiling, and keeping it stored in a clean, dry place.

      Delete
  6. You are going to think this is terrible, but every time I see "Saving my $$" I read it as "Saving my a$$". It makes me snicker every single time. I know--I am a horrible person. Oh well! :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh you made me laugh so hard. You know now I'm going to see it that way too from now on. Thanks for that! Ha, haaaaa!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...