Thursday, June 13, 2019

Travel Food



One of the easiest ways to make traveling much more affordable is to prepare your own meals and snacks while traveling.  We were gone for nine days so it was pretty important to me that we have plenty of healthy meals and snacks to enjoy.  So I started out by making a list of the meals we would like to have and went from there.

This little electric skillet turned out to be the best thing I could've brought
We cooked everything in it

We ended up preparing two meals a day plus snacks which for us was more than enough food to get us through our days.  I kept it mainly Keto with a few carbs here and there for the girls.  For breakfast I packed eggs, sausage links, bacon, cheese and fruit.  We were able to prepare bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, omelets, breakfast burritos and scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa.

Our first vacation breakfast

For supper I packed a variety of meats, all frozen to help them last longer.  We prepared steaks, angus beef patties, taco meat, sausages and paired them with salad or sautéed veggies.  One evening we made chicken alfredo with broccoli florets in it and ate that as a one pot meal..  And of course, egg roll in a bowl made an appearance one night with leftovers for the next day as well. I packed condiments in mason jars and some olive oil along with a few of our favorite spices to cook with.

Our hotel kitchen, crowed and cluttered but it got the job done

For snacks I packed almonds and cashews, black olives, pork rinds, tortilla chips, leftover cookies from the graduation party, cheese sticks, pepperoni, salami, beef jerky, fresh fruit and veggies.  Each day we put a variety of items into sandwich sized bags to take with us on our adventures.

My bunless hamburger one night

Bottled water can really add up (especially inside Disneyland at $3.99 a piece) and we are really big water drinkers.  We took our Brita pitcher with us and some refillable water bottles so we had plenty of water to keep us hydrated while we were out and about.  We also took plastic tumblers with lids and straws I'd bought at the dollar store a couple years ago to keep in our Go Bags and had those in the car and hotel to use.

It worked out very well for us

I took dishes, silverware, a can opener and utensils from our camping supplies to use to eat with.  An electric skillet was all we needed to cook with and an electric kettle to heat water and make coffee each day.  I used a coffee cone and filters with my insulated travel mug.  We washed our dishes in the hotel sink with dish soap and a sponge with a scour pad on it for easy clean up.  It was really pretty simple to keep it all up and didn't feel like a chore either.

Broccoli & chicken alfredo

Along with the savings over eating out we really appreciated all of the healthy and good quality meals we enjoyed.  We enjoy eating out on occasion, but every day, several times a day just would not work well for us.  Healthy whole foods and a nice variety of them kept us going throughout our trip.


12 comments:

  1. Nice! You made a lot of great meals & planned well for the trip. I'm going to Hawaii next week,and while we don't plan to make all our meals, our plan is breakfast & lunch in the room, with only dinners out (happy hours). We'll be doing that with just a microwave, so salads factor in quite a bit for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just making those 2 meals each day will save you a ton. Have a great time!

      Delete
  2. Wow, way to go! what a wonderful job. Inspires me to do better at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting meal ideas from others. Glad this helps. :)

      Delete
  3. You did very well with your meals, lots of variety and good food. Did you have any issues with the hotels in bringing in your own appliances? I do know there are some that won't permit those items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Our last hotel on the way home was that way, but the others we stayed in were just fine. I made sure when I booked that we'd be okay.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! My mom and I like to travel together. We take snacks and pack foods to take even on the airplane. We take a set each of heavy duty plastic silverware and plastic bowl each. We try to get a room with a microwave and mini fridge when possible. Snacks are usually shelf stable like cliff bars, lara bars, Jerky, nuts, mini pretzels, a little chocolate if it's not hot out or a favorite candy are nice and you miss the cost of airport snacks, etc... We hit a local grocery store for a few things like yogurt, fruit , veggies or main dish things we can microwave. If the hotel has a breakfast for free all the better. We take extra coffee either ground with a cone drip thing I have for a cup and a few filters or instant "sticks" and tea bags too. We can pick up a package of cocoa mix at breakfast for a break in the evening in our room. We save so much money this way and just eat out once or twice during the trip. I have severe food allergies so this is the best and most frugal way to do it. Oh, and always a water bottle each! We get very creative and a lot of the snacks are purchased on sale in small packages while at home so I always have a stash for travel or car day trips. Save your mini packages of salt and pepper, sugar, creamer and ketchup, mustard or mayo. They have always let us take these through even at an airport. I just make sure they are in their own baggie inside my gallon or two gallon ziplock freezer bag with the other foods. Once I was questioned at an airport and told them I have severe food allergies so I bring a lot of my own stuff to eat. Oh, that reminds me throw a couple extra zip top baggies in your luggage. They come in handy. Take care. I sure enjoy reading your blog and seeing the girls grow up. So many memories you are making with them and teaching them to have fun yet still be frugal and healthy. Take care. Sorry to hear about your kitty. It's hard to lose a member of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had a whole box of baggies. LOL You have a lot of great ideas here Crystal. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the kind comments about our kitty. We sure do miss him.

      Delete
  5. Almost forgot one time when we were driving we took our own small microwave with us. Came in handy as the room didn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just spent a long weekend in northern New England, and these tips would have made our time there much more comfortable. I am bookmarking this post and your great ideas for our next trip! Electric skillet, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That electric skillet was perfect for all the meals I had planned. I heartily recommend it.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...