Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - Master Bedroom Trim & Paint



I have long dreamed of crown molding and new baseboard trim in the master bedroom just like what we have downstairs in our living room.  It has been a long time coming but I finally got it done.


When we demoed the bedroom we removed all of the old dated crappy trim that was original to the house.  Then I replaced it along the floor with new trim and added it to the ceiling where there had never been any.


I love the look of the decorative corner pieces to really dress it up along the ceiling.  Trim is surprisingly easy to install and goes up fairly quickly.


Even the closet got new baseboard trim.  I re-used what I'd removed from the living room door last summer when I updated it with the new and more decorative trim.  That made it super affordable to do the closet and also got it used up and out of the garage.  Win - win!


Once all the trim was up I got out a tube of painters caulk I had in the garage and loaded it into my caulk gun.  I can't tell you enough the importance of caulking your trim and filling your nail holes.  Not a task to skip, believe me.  It finishes it off flawlessly and is seriously worth the effort.  Plus the caulk isn't expensive at all.


Paint is another thing that can really transform a room.  Before I painted though I went all the way around the room several times and used some spackle to fill in nail holes, flaws and surface damage on the walls.  I let it all dry overnight and came back with a piece of fine sandpaper and sanded all the repairs.

This is why I always take down the light fixtures when I paint the ceiling

Once I'd caulked all of the trim I allowed it to dry overnight, then the room was ready for paint.  I used Pure White by Behr from Home Depot and painted the ceiling, all the trim and the walls.  Semi gloss in their mid range paint, which I love by the way.  Wow!  What a major improvement.  I am absolutely thrilled!

I also remove all the switch plates and outlet covers

Adding trim and decorative moldings can really transform a room.  I took my time to make sure I got my cuts as accurate and neat as possible.  Then, as much as I do not enjoy caulking, I did it anyway because it really finishes it off nicely.  No gaps or seams to detract from the beauty of the molding.

I just can't get over how much a good coat of paint freshens up a space

Once everything was painted with a fresh coat it really looks nice.  Clean, bright and fresh.

Painting completed, light fixture put back up and outlet covers on

Time to paint the floor

We finished clearing out the room and I cleaned the floor one more time.  I painted the floor with the oops! paint just like we did in the closet in preparation of the new carpet.  I barely had enough but I made it.  



This room is really coming together.  We are almost to the finish line.




4 comments:

  1. Prepping for painting is definitely worth the time it takes. It's beginning to look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does make a difference in the final outcome. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I have corner trim like that in my bedroom and my diningroom. Yours is looking great!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...