Friday, January 10, 2020

I Purged 20 Things For 2020



I spent a couple days during my Christmas break going through drawers, cabinet and closets to see if I could find at least 20 items to purge from our home.  I figured no problem!  Easy peasy.  Well, it wasn't so easy.  It was actually difficult to find items we no longer needed, wanted or used to get rid of.  Yay!

A pile of papers, 2 pair of mittens, a pair of socks, a pile of pens,
AARP magazine, a calculator, 2 tops, a pair of shoes and 2 knitted wash cloths

That means we've done a pretty darn good job around here filtering out the crap and keeping it that way.  What I did find was a lot of stuff that had been given to us, like promotional items (pens from college recruiters for instance) and gifts that didn't necessarily suit us.

A software disc, a pkg of pantiliners, some toiletries, 2 bath bombs, a wreath frame,
4 books, a VCR head cleaner kit (why?), an Easter basket, LED monitor, a gift bag

I gathered all of these items up and filled a good sized shopping bag.  My shame however is that I had a larger bag of donations from a summer purge I'd done and had never dropped off at the thrift store.  I hang my head on this one because it was ridiculous to procrastinate on taking those in.  The thrift store is near our home!

Animal rescue thrift store

The girls helped me redeem myself.  They took both bags and dropped them off for me straight away and I am not hoarding any purged items in my garage anymore.  I even had that bag sitting in an inconvenient spot to remind me to "get rid of this stuff!".  I just walked around it.  Good grief!  Anyone else do that?



4 comments:


  1. You have done great! I am in awe of your organization! Have you always been this organized? I made my own planner recently which is a first for me. I am hoping this will help me in my personal/work life to get even more done. Mine isn't nearly as pretty as yours because I just used what I had available but it gets the job done.

    How long have you been purging? This has been years in the making right? I am working on it but I am very overwhelmed - mostly by paper I've tucked into boxes (old bills,letters,etc). I am currently working my way through it a bit at a time to keep from getting burned out. I am also purging other stuff as I go to, it is definitely a constant ongoing project for sure.

    I've got to get it done so I can free up time to sew! I want to make more quilts in 2020. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started really doing a deep purge of our home about 12 years ago and it took me 5 years to really get the bulk out of here. Then we really minimized when we were planning to move out of state (didn't happen) and since then I'm bound and determined not to let things accumulate and pile up. As I get older too I find I want a lot less stuff so that is good. Paper clutter is hands down the worst!

      I've always made my planners out of things I already had and they have evolved over time. Now I can barely function without one! Ha!

      Delete
    2. Nice job on the purging! We keep a large laundry sorter in the garage. When it's filled, we take it to the donation stand. We have kids still growing out of clothes, and are slowly upgrading some house stuff, but we still have more than I'd like, which suggests we still have "too much".

      Delete
  2. I love the feeling of a home after a good purge! We need to get on this in January as well. So many papers...

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...