Wednesday, January 15, 2020

My First Meal Prep In 2020



I planned out my first meal prep session based solely on items I already had in my house.  No trip to the store required this time and that was fantastic!  I pulled a 5# package of ground turkey out of the freezer as well as a pound of ground beef.  Once thawed I got to work.


My first task was to combine half of the ground turkey with the ground beef and some spices and eggs.  I made 20 meatballs laying them out on a plate and then added some ketchup to the mixture and made it into meatloaf.  Pretty simple.  



I popped the meatloaf into the oven and the meatballs into the freezer.  Once the meatballs had firmed up I transferred them to a ziploc bag for either spaghetti and meatballs or swedish meatballs later on.




While the meatloaf baked I combined frozen broccoli and cauliflower cuts in a roasting pan, tossed it with a little olive oil and some seasoning salt.  I added the veggies to the oven about halfway through the meatloaf baking.  


While everything finished up in the oven I peeled three potatoes I had leftover in the pantry, cut them up and cooked them with a handful of baby carrots.  I whipped the cooked potatoes and carrots up together with some milk and butter as a side dish for our meatloaf supper.



The remaining ground turkey was browned up and I removed some to freeze to add to Taco Soup and then added a packet of taco seasoning to what remained.  The taco meat went into a bowl as well as the reserved ground turkey and once cooled I put it in the freezer.  Now I have components of meals that I can quickly prepare throughout the month in quantities that will leave us with plenty of leftovers for extra meals and lunches.


Start to finish I spent about an hour in the kitchen, including clean up.  Have you done any meal prepping yet this year?  What are you making these days?


8 comments:

  1. I made a triple batch of carnitas & taco meat this weekend. Having those available in the freezer means I can quickly grab & go dinner options on busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I want to start doing meal prep in the future. Right now I am trying to use what is in our freezer and in the frig freezer. It's just my husband and I so it's slow going. But I need to do a deep clean on both freezers. So far in January I've only spent $30 on groceries. I expect to continue this way until both
    Freezers are empty and I can start oho over with new stock. Saving money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me last year. I needed to defrost our chest freezer and it did take us a while.

      Delete
  3. My kitchen is small, so I store some pantry items in my basement ( I may have to re-think this though). Yesterday, I went through my shelves down there and found many thing I had forgotten about, so they expired. :( But I did grab some cans that were good until next month- so I'm using them today to make a big pot of chili. It should be enough for dinner tonight and a meal for the freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to lose things in the pantry sometimes. Chili sure sounds good.

      Delete
  4. I need to prep but I am currently out of freezer space! 1st world problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot of space in mine either. Poor us!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...