Monday, January 27, 2020

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



I started to get a scratchy throat and pretty good head cold Saturday.  The day before I actually came home from work early with a stomach ache.  I spent Sunday and Monday resting and recuperating.  By Monday evening the sinus pressure in my face finally waned and I started to feel better.  I haven't been this sick for quite a while and I always feel bad missing work, but this time it couldn't be helped.


I headed back to work on Tuesday and that was about all I could manage.  Thankfully one of my daughter's friends was able to help me with getting her to the charity concert she performed in that night.  I didn't dare go to the concert and cough my way through the performances.  Not at all what the audience came to hear.

Wednesday I brought home from work a zippered vinyl bag that a wheelchair cushion came in.  I saved it from the trash and plan to reuse it for organized storage at home.  Particularly for some upcoming projects I hope to dive into soon.


I made my daughter's doctor a batch of Death By Chocolate cookies and took them to him at her appointment this week.  I included a thank you card with a sticky bow on the envelope, both from my stash too.  He is such a wonderful man and he was pretty excited about those cookies.

  
Beautiful!  And she has a very proud mama too!


My youngest had an out of town dance competition Saturday.  My goal was to be extra careful with our fuel in the car and only use a half tank so I would have enough to go to the competition.  I budgeted for a tank and a half of gas this month for our car and as it turned out I had just a hair above the halfway mark.  I topped up the tank and off we went.

My very small grocery haul Friday night

To save even more I packed our small cooler with food from the pantry and fridge to take with us for our meals so we didn't need to eat out or buy concessions.  I also packed some water bottles we filled at home.  The night before I made ham salad and we packed that along with crackers, yogurt, veggies & salad dressing, sliced cheese, almonds and apples.  It worked out really well.  When we got home that evening it was fairly late.  We were able to reheat leftovers for a super quick supper.


It was the perfect week to pull things from our freezer since I didn't feel much like cooking.  I took out leftover lasagna which fed my youngest two suppers and one lunch, chicken broth which I made into egg drop soup, burrito filling which I sent my oldest back to college with and enchilada sauce to make a small pan of beef enchiladas with.  I baked the enchiladas Friday evening and we had leftovers for the weekend ahead which came in very handy.  I put Keto "Crack" Chicken in the slow cooker one day and a batch of chili on another day.  We also made sure to eat up our leftovers.  It seemed like a lot of cooking last week, but it was super easy and didn't require much in the way of effort or cleanup.


Even though I was sick all last week I was still able to keep up on my housekeeping.  Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - tidied laundry room, vacuumed floors, scrubbed sink, washed rug.  Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed floor.

Kitchen -  vacuumed & spot mopped the floor, cleaned microwave, cleaned & bleached sink.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Cleaned mirror, washed rug, scrubbed tub & toilet.  Daily swish & swipe.

Other - two loads of laundry, vacuumed living room, hallway & entry, cleaned fireplace.  Swept front porch.

How was your thrifty week?


6 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Sorry you have been poorly. I hope you feel better soon. I'm also sorry that I haven't commented for a while. I have been reading your wonderful posts every day and I particularly enjoyed those about your older daughter going off to college: I live thousands of miles away but I feel such affection and admiration for you and your lovely girls.

    I really don't want to bore you but the last few months have been so strange here: My lovely Dad died, my Mum broke her ankle and I went to Turkey for a month!

    Anyway, I'll be commenting on your lovely blog more frequently now that things (touch wood) seem to have calmed down slightly.

    Big hugxxc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your father passing. I hope you and your mother are doing well. Here is to a wonderful 2020. Take care Heloise.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...