Thursday, January 30, 2020

My Super Thrifty Grocery Budget 2020 - January



This is the first time in a long time I've done a really super thrifty grocery budget and I have to tell you it feels really, really good.  I was challenged to make my grocery dollars stretch and to really think about the items I was purchasing.  One of the things I realized is that I tend to buy things because they are on sale or marked down rather than because it is something I want or need.  It surprised me at how often I was actually doing this.  This month I only bought items I know we needed and will use.

My first shop of the year - Trader Joes & Winco

I was very happy that my grocery dollars were able to allow me to replace some items we'd used up last Christmas.  I was able to resupply our assortment of cookie sprinkles as well as add two packages of dipping chocolate.  We like to dip pretzels and this year we plan to give them as one of our food gifts to our friends.  Homemade cookies is also on the list and we now have sprinkles to decorate them with as well as a bonus of two packages of cookie icing.  I've never used it before, but the price made it very affordable and it came with one of the bottles of sprinkles we got.

Fred Meyer - Lots of marked down items!

I was able to replenish our baking supplies

I used my $25 nonfood budget to purchase some canned cat food, my magnesium supplements I take every day, two bottles of shampoo for my oldest daughter and a three pack of Chapstick that was on clearance.  The shampoo was on sale and I had a coupon so she got two bottles for $1.98 and that should last her most of the year.  I had a coupon for a FREE bag of Purina One dry cat food so I decided to use that while I was there.  At Family Dollar I picked up a huge bag of cat food on sale one week and I had a $2.00 digital coupon too so I was able to add that to our pet supplies in the garage.  At the end of the month there was a sale on toilet paper and I had extra grocery dollars so I went ahead and picked up two packages of 12 jumbo rolls for only $3.99 each.  My final total on non food items came in at $32.65.  I have a negative balance of $7.65 to carryover to next month which should be okay as I usually don't spend the whole amount each month.


Throughout the month I was able to purchase things we used up or ran low on as well as to buy items that would be easy for my oldest to prepare in her dorm room.  She has a small fridge, a microwave and a small Crockpot so we are tailoring her meals around items she can make using those appliances.  So far it is working out really well.  She feels she is eating better, healthier food as well as saving a small fortune over the college meal plan.  Even if that does include the occasional Pop Tart, which we had a store coupon for to get a FREE box.

A few small shops during the month, this one for dairy

and this one for loss leader items

Here is the list of food I bought this month:


$77.34 ÷ 31 days ÷3 people = $.83 per person per day!!!  Holy cow!

My final shopping trip, all items on sale!

I am really really happy with how my grocery shopping worked out this month and I feel encouraged as I head into February with the same small grocery budget.  No doubt I can make this work for us next month too.



2 comments:

  1. You did so great this month! I am realizing myself how important it is to carve out that non-food budget. I have been trying to include it in my food budget and I think that is why the budget is just too tight. I will try to carve out that $25/month and see if that improves things.

    Just want to say how much I enjoy your blog and the effort you put into it. This is a tight time financially for many of us, especially us single moms. This blog and the community aspect of it is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace. That has long been my goal. To bring like minded people together and support each other. The non food budget has helped me quite a bit. Hope you find it helpful too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...