Monday, December 12, 2011

Grocery Shopping

To maximize savings and minimize effort and trips to the store requires a little bit of planning.  I start first with my grocery list and my meal plan and go from there. 

Grocery List 

My grocery list is a copy of my Pantry List printed off of my computer.  I have three months worth of lists going at the same time. 

The majority of what I am buying this month is actually for the coming month’s meal plans which are not yet completed.  The reason for this is because I can plan meals around what I already have on hand. 

Only about 25% or less of what I purchase this month is actually for this month – milk and dairy items, eggs, fresh produce and the occasional forgotten item.  The rest is for the future. 

Meal Planner 

I plan my meals a month at a time based on what is already available in my pantry and freezer.  I have a long list of favorite meals I keep to draw inspiration from as well as a few new recipes to try from time to time. 

My menu plan is not set in stone and I like having the flexibility to swap days around depending on schedule or mood changes. 

I like to keep a couple of frozen meals in the freezer for “just in case”.  Having a backup plan can really be a budget saver. 

Sales Ads & Coupons 

When the majority of my shopping is for the future it allows me to take better advantage of the sales.  I love when meats go on sale or hit the markdown bin.  I purchase them at that time to freeze so I am not routinely paying regular price which is much, much higher. 

I like to check the ads on a weekly basis and purchase those items I need with a coupon to maximize my savings.  I make a strict list and go in and get out with just those items.  If you stop and buy additional items then you will negate your savings.  I love when I can go home and mark off the items on my grocery lists. 

I am also willing to walk away if it turns out the sales aren’t really as good as they originally seem.  I have actually left stores without buying anything because, for instance, the meat didn’t look as good as I would have liked or the quantity of something was smaller than I expected. 

Remember, just because something is on sale doesn’t mean you should buy it.  Especially if you don’t need it in the first place. 

Have A Budget 

Have a budget and stick to it.  If you have trouble with this and find yourself going over budget regularly consider using cash.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Knowing that will also help you decide what items you really need and what items you can wait to purchase another time. 

Grocery Shopping 

I do my big shopping trip once a month.  Then in a couple of weeks I go again to get milk and fresh produce.  Occasionally I will stop to take advantage of really good sales in between trips but I try not to.  I definitely don’t want go to the store more than once a week.  Less is best. 

Pick a time when you aren’t tired or hungry and you have plenty of time.  I personally like Friday night.  Most people are just there to pick up one or two items so the aisles aren’t too crowded and the shelves are fully stocked.  I like to wind down after a work week by trolling the aisles, but that’s me.  I also like that I don’t have to interrupt my weekend. 

I make grocery shopping a family affair.  It is also a learning experience for all of us.  I use this opportunity teach my children about food, nutrition, prices, savings, value and how to work within a budget, use coupons and watch for bargains. 

My girls love to pick out apples and select mushrooms.  They enjoy seeing all the different things and suggesting future menus.  I love it when they see something new and we discuss whether we want to try it and what we’d do with it.  Tofu was quite the adventure at one time.  I also love having their help at check out when we have to bag our own groceries. 

Rain Checks

If the store runs out of a particular item on sale and you really want it then ask if they have a substitute item.  Quite often they will but if they don’t then ask for a rain check.  I use rain checks a lot but when you do make sure and watch that the cashier gives you the correct price and keep a copy of the ad just in case.  I usually staple the ad to the rain check and keep it in my coupon envelope.  Then there is no question about it. 

Quantities 

Stocking up is great but be careful not to purchase too much of any item.  There is no point to owning 100 cans of tuna if you won’t be able to eat it before the cans begin to bulge. 

Be mindful of food storage.  Do you have a temperature controlled space to keep groceries?  Extreme heat or cold and fluctuating temperatures isn’t a good environment for food storage.  Is there a lot of light exposure?  A cool dark space, free from insects is perfect for most pantry items. 

Use up what you have before you buy more if you already have a lot of something.  Although, this week, canned spaghetti sauce is at a great buy I already have quite a bit in storage so I need to pass on it, unfortunately.  I always hate to pass up a really good deal. 

Produce is probably my biggest challenge.  I try not to overbuy but sometimes you just don’t get it used up or you forget you have it.  There is no savings in any food that get wasted. 

Run Out Or Run Low? 

Even with the best planning sometimes you run out or run low on something or you flat forget to get it.  Don’t do without just do something else.  Rather than bust the budget or make a special trip to the store find something else you can make instead.  Or pull out your frozen backup item.  Even better – make soup! 

Have any great tips to add?  I’d love to hear what you do to save money and time at the grocery store.  Need a copy of my pantry list?  Let me know and I will send it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...