Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Home Hair Care

I was fortunate to have been blessed with a moderate ability to cut hair.  As a self taught stylist I began honing by skills in high school after watching the barber and beautician closely while they worked.  Thanks to the courage and patience of my brother and father I practiced on them and was able to get pretty good at it. 

While growing up my son never had is hair cut by anyone other than me until he joined the Army.  When he came home on leave after basic training he instructed me on the proper way to give him a “high and tight”.  I learned another style! 

We always want to look nice and maintain our appearance on a budget without looking like we are on a budget.  I schedule haircuts and colors just as if I were going to the salon every time.  Every eight weeks I trim or cut my girl’s hair. 

Because it is difficult for me to cut my own hair I schedule a cut with my stylist every four months and maintain it in between visits by trimming my own bangs.  I also color my hair with a good quality color. 

Every couple of months one of my favorite stores will run a sale on my hair color and I will buy two boxes, usually with coupons.  My color typically ends up costing about $7 each time I do it and my stylist heartily approves.  I also use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair that I purchase on sale, with coupons, at the store.  I do not buy salon products. 

If you aren’t gifted in the art of cutting hair but are in need of saving money in this area, no worries.  Here are some ideas: 

1.                 A really good simple cut from a good stylist will last a long time.  Go a little shorter to make it last longer.
2.                Consider going to a barber or cosmetology school for a low-priced cut.  Remember the simpler the cut the less likely you are to leave unhappy.
3.                  Typically a barber charges less than a cosmetologist.
4.                  Watch the papers for coupons to chain salons.
5.                 Have a friend or relative help you with coloring your hair if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.  Read and follow the directions carefully.
6.                There are community educations classes available in some areas that each home barber courses.
7.                 Videos are available online and the last time I bought a pair of clippers it included a DVD.
8.                 Shorter hair styles often require more frequent maintenance than longer ones.
9.                  Keep it simple and avoid fad styles.
10.              Ask your stylist for tips.  Quite often they are happy to help you. 

It is quite easy to drop a small fortune at the salon and on a routine basis too.  Not everyone is able or willing to be a home barber but there are plenty of ways to save and stay looking gorgeous.


1 comment:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...