Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Berry Syrup


With it being raspberry season I am thrilled with all the fresh berries I get.  I love to make flavored pancake syrups to add variety to our breakfasts and one of my favorites is berry syrup.  I will usually make strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry.  I also like to make a triple berry by combining raspberries, blackberries and blueberries together. 

Berry Syrup 

In a small saucepan place 1½ cups of fresh or frozen berries.  Add ½ cup water.  Simmer over medium low heat for about ten minutes.  Mash berries to render out all their juice.  Strain into a bowl to remove seeds and flesh. 

Measure 1 cup of berry juice.  Add water if you need to equal one cup.  Return to saucepan with 2 cups of sugar.  Bring to a boil for one minute.  Skim off any foam and pour into a clean and sterile glass pint jar or Snapple Bottle.  Add a lid and allow to cool. 

Serve over pancakes, waffles or French toast.  Makes 1 pint of syrup. 

This is a great way to use up any berries you have leftover in the freezer from last year too.  Make several bottles of syrup to give as gifts if you like.  Add a cute label and a little ribbon to dress it up.

You may enjoy revisiting Pancake & Waffle Mix and Snapple Bottles .

2 comments:

  1. I have been saving my Snapple bottles since I read an earlier post about you using them for homemade syrup. I have to hide them from my husband because he thinks they are trash and will throw them away if I'm not looking. I was wondering, have you ever tried putting hot tea in them and let them seal? I usually boil my tea bags for iced tea. I was thinking that maybe if I added more water to my pan to begin with that I could just fill the bottles up and maybe they would seal. I may try that this weekend. I really enjoy your blog.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...