Friday, July 27, 2012

Freebies


When it comes to freebies I am hit and miss with them.  Freebies are usually samples given out by manufacturers to entice people to try their new products or products they already distribute that seem to have declined in their appeal.  Freebies are fun to get in the mail, I have to admit, and a great way to try something out before you plunk down the change to purchase something you might not like.

Freebies come in a wide range of items.  Usually food, toiletries and pet foods are the ones I aim for.  Just the other day I got two coupons for a free can of cat food just for liking them on Facebook.  I have a sample of Honey Nut Cheerios coming and I forget what else.  So far I have received laundry soap, toothpaste, antacid, pantiliners and pads, shampoo and conditioner.  Most of the time the manufacturer encloses a nice coupon too for a future purchase. 

Another freebie I like is the free item at a restaurant.  Quite often restaurants will offer a free beverage, appetizer or kids meal.  I take advantage of those regularly.  It really helps defray the overall cost of dining out.  I signed up with Chili’s to be a member of their club.  They will let me know of their specials and send me promotional coupons via email.  Now I have a coupon for a free appetizer.  I also have the tail end of a gift card with a few dollars left on it to use up.  The girls and I will go and order two appetizers, one being free, and use the gift card to defray the expense of our other one.  We always drink water at restaurants so it will be a very thrifty lunch one day. 

Note:  I always tip the server based on what the bill would have normally cost before any discounts.  A little more if their service was exceptional. 

Usually getting a freebie can be as simple as giving them your name and address and they send it to you.  Sometimes it can be a pain in the keester.  They might ask you to sign up and “become a member” or you might be asked to take a survey and then get inundated with additional offers, I usually pass on these .  It all depends on how much time you have to waste, and it can be a time waster, or how badly you want that particular freebie. 

I did join We Heart Freebies to alert me of coupons and freebies that are available and that seems to work well for me.  I also follow The Peaceful Mom blog and she lists them as well.  I occasionally get freebies from there. 

I don’t really look at freebies as something I can live off of by any means but something fun to do occasionally and get a treat in the mail.  The restaurant coupons are great because we can eat out more often than we normally would because it makes it that much more affordable.  That being said I still don’t think we should go out to eat too often because I personally don’t think it is good for us.  There is too much fat and sodium, plus the high calories too.  Just because you can, doesn’t necessarily mean you should. 

Do you sign up for freebies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...