Monday, July 2, 2012

Preparing For Winter – Stocking Up On Groceries


July is the month when I feel the urge to start preparing for winter.  There is enough of a lull in activity around here for me to start my plotting and planning.  By this time I usually will have all my basics in the pantry so I concentrate more on stocking up on bargains and specials at the store. 

During the summer I find that the price of roasts, whole chickens, and slow cooking cuts of meat are lower in price while steak and ground beef are much higher.  In the winter it seems the reverse is true.  However, that doesn’t mean a store still won’t offer a great deal on their more expensive cuts during the high season.  You just have to watch for it. 

Even though I have a lot of chicken in my freezer right now my Winco store offered 3# bags of frozen skinless breasts for $3.98 a bag ($1.33/lb).  I bought two knowing we will definitely eat it this winter and since I will already have it on hand I can tailor my meal planning around this chicken. 


They also offered pork chops at $1.98 a pound.  I bought several chops and wrapped them really well in meal size portions to freeze.  Then I put my individual wrapped meat packages inside a large zipper bag for additional protection against freezer burn.  Now there will be pork on the menu as well. 



Packages of wieners for 48¢ each, I bought four.  They will be great for camping this summer and whatever we don’t use I can freeze for chili dogs later on when I start making big pots of chili this fall. 

Whenever a store offers a really good buy on meat I try to buy as much as I can afford and store it for future use in my freezer.  It saves me so much on my grocery bill.  As a family of carnivores having a good supply of meat on hand is pretty important to us.  Staying on budget, even more so! 

Fred Meyer had their half gallons of milk on for 10 for $10.  At $2 a gallon that is a great price but for us doing our “half-milk” thing it equates to $1 a gallon so I bought ten and stuck them all in the freezer.  That should easily last us into September and hopefully it will go on sale again. 


In July I start canning too.  Usually salsa is first on my list along with pancake syrup, jams and jelly.  Freezing berries and rhubarb for future recipes as well as some of the new zucchini emerging from the garden is also something I do. 

If you work on it gradually you can easily tuck the expense into your regular grocery budget.  Being careful not to buy too much and blow the budget can be hard as the temptation is high when confronted with a really good deal.  Planning ahead and having a set amount in your budget each month for stocking up is very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...