Monday, July 30, 2012

The Party’s Over


Today I start my new job.  After several weeks of searching I found a part-time position with an ophthalmology practice.  The job market right now is incredibly soft so I feel very fortunate to have found a job in my chosen field and that it is only five miles from my home. 

The hours are exactly what I asked for.  I can see my girls off to school in the morning and have time to get things done around the house before I go in.  I will get home not too long after they get home from school on the bus. 

It takes me less than twenty minutes to get there and will require much less gas in my car than it did before.  No more two hour commutes, thank goodness.

Despite the fact I am a part-time employee I will still be eligible for benefits after 90 days and earn vacation pay as well.  Having benefits is important to me and I am thankful I’ll have them again. 

On the other hand, I’m really sad to leave my girls.  My oldest is having a hard time with it, complete with tears when I told them I was going back to work.  The youngest seems to be fine, taking it all in stride.  They really enjoyed Mom being home with them and I really enjoyed it too.  We have been having an incredible summer! 

As the one and only bread winner in the family I have to work outside the home.  Fortunately our thrifty lifestyle has made it so I don’t have to work full-time right now.  A high paying job with lots of hours is not required. 

The biggest lesson I have learned in recent months is that my job is not my life.  It is my job.  It finances my life. My life is at home, with my family.   

I don’t need a big fancy house, a fancy car, fancy electronics or big fabulous vacations.  I’ve pretty much always known that so I have never really pursued that kind of stuff.  I am quite content with my cozy little house and my lifestyle of simplicity. 

I am grateful for this new opportunity and hopeful for what this will bring to our future.  I am also grateful that the biggest concern I have right now is a broken knob on my oven.  No big deal! 

So….Hi ho, hi ho…..it’s off to work I go......

You might enjoy revisiting Keeping Your Resume Fresh.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blessing! Youre right,thoes fancy things dont matter. Youre a great mom,and doing a great job. Your girls will be great. Theyll see what a good mom you are,and love you for it.congrats! Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate the encouragement and your kind words. Thank you Christina!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new job! It seems like a win/win situation for you. I would love to be able to work part time, especially in the summer when I miss getting to enjoy any of the nice sunny days.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...