Monday, July 9, 2012

City Dweller Salsa


After years of trying to make homemade salsa that I really liked, and a load of failures in the process, I came up with this recipe.  I have been making it for several years now, long before I decided to pursue gardening and even before I got back into canning.  For the best control of flavor and to get consistent results time after time I relied on store bought ingredients for this particular recipe. 

Super simple and tasty too.  I would classify this one as a thick and chunky medium heat salsa.  My kids eat it just fine.  Devour is really more like it. J 

City Dweller Salsa 

½ of a large yellow onion, diced
1 bell pepper, cleaned seeded & diced
1 T. oil
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes & chiles
½ of a 4 oz. can diced jalapenos - hot
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp. sugar 

Heat oil in a large dutch oven or heavy bottom pan.  Sweat the onions and peppers, do not brown.  Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a slow boil.  On medium-low heat allow to simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Cool and enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips or Mexican food.  Refrigerate leftovers. 

This recipe makes quite a bit and will only last about a week.  I like to make a double batch and can it.  If you decide to do that, add 1 tsp. lemon juice to each pint of salsa before processing for 25 minutes in a boiling water bath.  A double batch will yield 7 pints of salsa. 

To add a little variety you can mix a pint of salsa with a can of Hoppin’ Johns or add a cup of cooked black beans and ½ cup of thawed frozen kernel corn for a nice black bean salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...