Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Healthier Fudge Brownies


I fiddled with my favorite brownie recipe in an attempt to make it a little healthier and I think I hit on an acceptable version.  Trying to reduce both the fat and sugar and improve the nutrition while maintaining flavor and texture can be tricky, but I think this one turned out pretty good.

Healthier Fudge Brownies

5 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbs. instant coffee granules (optional)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup whole wheat flower
1/3 cup all purpose flower
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil

In a large bowl whisk together cocoa powder, instant coffee, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt to combine well and break down any lumps in the cocoa powder.  Make a well in the center.  Add eggs and oil.  Stir with a wooden spoon until blended.  Batter will be quite thick.  Spread into a lightly oiled 8" square baking pan.  Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 18 to 23 minutes.  Cool and cut into 12 squares.

I tried one with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup and it was fantastic.  They are pretty good plain too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...