Friday, June 5, 2015

My Uber Thrifty Month In Review - May


The month of May proved to be a tricky one for me financially.  Lots of extra expenses this month and a couple unexpected ones too.  Fortunately I had the resources available to handle them all and for that I am thankful and feel truly blessed.

I paid my monthly bills on time or early, just like I always try to do.  Our power bill was lower than it had been for quite awhile.  We had turned our main heat off in mid March and tapered off the use of our fireplace and infrared heater as the weather warmed up.  I was greatly relieved when it arrived and was only $72.


My truck registration was due as well as the emission test.  I tried to order my registration online and save myself the trip to the DMV but their site was down.  Fortunately I timed it just right and was able to get in an out in five minutes!  It was amazing.

My oldest told me at the end of April that she is eligible to take an Accelerated Math class at the high school this summer.  It is a full years worth of credits but the class cost $200!  I also wanted to get both girls summer youth bus passes so they can get around town while I'm at work.  Now she'll actually need one to get to her class.  Two passes are $48.  I decided to take the funds out of savings to pay the class and bus passes.

In mid June my oldest is also going to start the process to get braces put on her teeth.  I don't even want to tell you how much that is going to cost, however I feel truly blessed and relieved as our dentist is going to give me a huge discount and no interest on a monthly payment plan.  They are talking about starting my youngest's orthodonture in about six months.  Two at the same time!  Eeek!

I'm going to need a lot of these!

Because of all the expenses I had in May and the ones looming ahead I felt the push to really load my pantry and freezers with a good stockpile of food so when things get tight I won't have to worry about the groceries so much.  I feel pretty confident I have that handled.  Surprisingly, I spent less on food than I have in a very long time.  Sales allowed me to stock up on cat food and I bought a 50# bag of chicken feed as well.  None of us will go hungry around here.

I made some progress on my financial goals and even managed to get my long awaited sewing table and a dresser for my bedroom.  I was also able to get my garden planted and my yard landscaped with just another $45 in plants, grass seed and supplies.  It looks amazing and I'm not embarrassed by the condition of our yard anymore.  It no longer has that abandoned house look about it.

Despite the stress that financial concerns can cause I feel pretty good about where we are at and I'm doing my best not to worry.  I know these things can be managed.  Next I'll be working to get the money put back into my savings account that I used and continue on with my savings goals.



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well over there! :) My savings are not looking pretty... life is getting very expensive here with fixed bills, so my goal right now seems to be making it week to week and not worry too much about my savings account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have to get through the best we can and eventually this too shall pass. Right? :)

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain about braces. I only had one child that needed them but it was so worth it...pretty straight white teeth. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy how expensive the process is. By the time we are done I could've bought a brand new car. A nice one. More importantly my girls will have straight, pretty and healthy teeth.

      Delete
  3. THe cost of raising children continues to get more expensive as they age, but the rewards offset every single penny. In the end the financial struggles are forgotten, but the day to day memories with them are magnified. Enjoy this time because it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. I wish I could slow down time, just a little bit.

      I never stress about the cost of raising children. I only worry about whether or not I'll have the money when it is needed. By the grace of God I always seem too. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...