Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Spring Cleaning Part II - Kitchens & Baths


This was supposed to have been posted last month but it didn't happen as planned.  Better late than never.

I like to give each room in my house a good and thorough cleaning about every six months.  This month it was time to do the kitchen and the downstairs powder room.  I started with the kitchen as this was the bigger of the two jobs.

To make it easier on myself I did the kitchen in installments.  About three weeks ago I cleaned the refrigerator and freezer inside and out.  I pulled it away out and washed the walls beside and behind it then vacuumed and scrubbed the floor.  I also vacuumed and cleaned the coils and the vent that sits along the bottom of the refrigerator.  Then I slid it back into place and washed down the front and cleaned the ice and water dispenser.  A Magic Eraser made quick work of getting the handles nice and clean.

It amazes me what accumulates under the fridge in just six months.  Eeew!

The following weekend I took the time to clean the range in the same manner.  I did not run the cleaning cycle as the inside was relatively clean from the last time I ran it.  I used My Mean Green degreasing spray cleaner to clean the exterior of the range and the range hood.  I pulled the vent screen and saturated it with cleaner in the sink before scrubbing it clean and rinsing it with really hot water.

Last weekend I finished the job by washing the ceiling, walls and cabinets down with Fabulosa.  I super scrubbed the sink and bleached it and then did the countertops.  Finally the floor was mopped and I called it complete.  I love, love, love a clean kitchen!


Since I had all of my cleaning supplies out I went ahead and spring cleaned the powder room.  I removed everything from the counter, scrubbed the sink and toilet with Comet cleanser and then washed down the ceiling, walls, cabinet, countertop and floor with Fabulosa.  I washed the rug too.  Lastly, I cleaned the mirrors, hung fresh hand towels and replaced the clean and dry rug, refilled soap dispenser and decorations.  Aside from the time it took for the rug to wash and dry the powder room itself only took me about thirty minutes to clean.


The main reason I was able to quickly and efficiently complete this job is because I have managed to keep the clutter to a minimum and I don't let things pile up or become neglected.  It also helps that I routinely clean as I discussed in last week's Housekeeping post.  But honestly, the biggest thing is that I own less stuff.

Have you done any spring cleaning lately?  How to you approach the task?


2 comments:

  1. My wife and I like to do the same thing every late Spring/Early Summer, perform a solid spring cleaning. Loved your bit about the kitchen and the manner in which you cleaned the coils. Never thought of doing it that way, but will certainly try it the next time!

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply Company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo. For busy working people I think it just makes sense to do it in phases. I used to do it all at once and just ended up dreading it. Lots of work and when you are done you are exhausted. Much happier doing it this way.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...