Monday, July 24, 2017

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


Sunday was much cooler than it has been so I decided to tackle some much needed yard work.  But not until I made a quick trip to Home Depot first to pick up a few items on my list.  One of which was a weed eater.

After much debating (in my head) I came to the conclusion that I need the extra assistance.  Despite my best efforts I have not been able to stay on top of the weeds and they had really taken over the backyard.  It looked horrible back there.  Embarrassingly so.  But now it looks so much nicer and I feel a lot better about it.  In what would have taken hours and hours I was able to knock out in about 45 minutes, including raking up my mess.  $30 well spent!


We had company all week long.  I kept expenses to a minimum by cooking the majority of our meals at home and even reinvented some leftovers to create a brand new meal.

A bit of a reprieve in our hot weather last week meant fewer hours running the A/C.  I set the box fan at the back door for a couple hours each morning and managed to keep the house nice and cool the remainder of the day.  We turned the A/C on in the late afternoon or the evening for a few hours to cool it down upstairs for sleeping and that was pretty much it.  Hopefully the electric bill for the month won't be too terrifying.


Surprisingly, even with company here, I did not grocery shop last week.  My big shopping haul the week before provided plenty to keep everyone going.  I perused the ads and found nothing in them to compel me to go to the store and it was really nice to have that reprieve.

Teaching her how to use a drill

Saturday morning the youngest and I got up early and headed out to the backyard to finish up one of the chicken coop projects before the heat of the day hit.  Stay tuned for that post later in the week.  Then we got busy and "planted" a new fence post to replace one that broke over the winter.  So nice to no longer have a 2 X 4 in the yard holding up the fence.

Best helper ever!

We fed our kitchen scraps to the hens.  They in turn kept us well supplied with eggs.  I also sold two dozen eggs to a friend.  Good job ladies!

I worked a small amount of overtime.

I found another sock with a tiny hole in it.  I grabbed a needle and thread and fixed it.  And yes, it was on my foot while I darned it.

All done!

We washed and reused several Ziploc bags.

I composted egg shells, banana peels, onion skins, coffee grounds, tea bags and yard debris.

How was your thrifty week?



9 comments:

  1. You made some great progress! The yard looks nice and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mother to be teaching your girls those lifelong skills that will come in handy from now throughout their lives. :) You really did have a frugal week. I'm trying to just grocery shop once a week or less to save time, money, gas and my sanity. ;)

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. Thank you.

      Funny how staying out of the grocery store really does save our sanity at times. ;)

      Delete
  3. Weed eaters are fantastic gizmos. I also used to think leaf blowers were not worth the price until we finally got one. Huge time and effort difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously giving that one some thought as well!

      Delete
  4. Why so much company??? Do you live far from family and have been having a fun family reunion this summer. We have been and I have used some of your tricks and tips this summer to keep them all fed. Have a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have friends and family scattered all over the place. It has really been nice hosting them in our home. I super happy to hear you found some tips for meals. That is great! Enjoy!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...