Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Seeing Stars


Over the weekend leading up to The 4th the girls and I did a project together that I have wanted to do for quite some time.  We made stars.

We used wood from my stash in the garage (trim I had gleaned from the "Free Wood" bin near my work), some finish nails, adhesive and spray paint.  Everything I already had so no trips to any stores and no money out of pocket.

Ready for paint

The first star we made was one I wanted to make to put on the chicken coop.  Plus it was a great way to show the girls how to put these together.  I cut five pieces of flat trim, each 24" in length.  I laid them out and gave them a nice coating of paint.  While the paint dried we worked on the girl's stars.

They both learned how to safely use a compound miter saw!


They were super easy to put together.  Since mine was going to be outdoors I opted to use a little bit of construction adhesive in addition to the nails, but the girls just used nails.  We positioned the wood pieces, predrilled the holes to eliminate splitting and put them together tacking then at each corner.


Once that was done we made sure everything was even and then added a couple additional nails in the center pieces to keep anything from moving.  How easy is that?!

To make my star use 5 pieces of wood cut the same length (24") and 8 finish nails.

She used some fancy moulding

To make my youngest's smaller star use 5 pieces of wood cut the same length (10") and 8 finish nails.

Two toned in teal and brown

To make my oldest's use 10 pieces of wood cut the same length (10") and 20 finish nails (2 at each corner).


I hung mine on the new addition of the coop.  Both of the girls picked a spot on the wall in their rooms to hang theirs.  They both gave this project a thumbs up and declared it a lot of fun.



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley! That is really nice of you to say. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your stars. I grew up in the Lone Star state and your stars would look right at home there too ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! We had so much fun I think we'll be making some more.

      Delete
  3. I love the stars and especially love the decorated coop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of fun decor ideas in mind for the coop.

      Delete
  4. I love them, what a fun project to do with your girls too!

    Tanina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job to you and the girls! Your stars are so pretty and the girls are learning skills that they will use later in their lives too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbie, we had so much fun. We picked up some more paint and we are going to make more of these. I think they'll be great as gifts. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...