Whooo hooooo! The living room now has a tile entryway in front of the door. A perfect place for wet shoes to land when coming indoors. I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. Once again a long awaited project has been completed and I'm so very happy about it. What do you think?
|This is the design we chose|
|The scrap pile with two extra pieces I decided I could part with after 20 years|
It worked out really well that I happen to have a lot of tile leftover from when I tiled our kitchen, main entryway, laundry room, downstairs bath and our dining room. It was a closeout tile and it was take the whole lot at a substantially discounted price or none of it, so I took it all.
|All measured and ready to cut|
|Preparing to put down the underlayment|
|Ready for tile|
|Sanding the cut edges|
I had already laid it out on the floor complete with spacers so I knew exactly what it would look like and all of the measurements. I also took a picture so I'd know how to put it all back together. All the cut pieces fit right back in the box too for storage until we were ready to set them. I used exactly one box of tiles for this project and we had minimal waste all things considered. The more intricate your design the more waste you will usually have, plus you have to factor in breakage, which happens. Surprisingly only one tile chipped, but we were able to still salvage half of it.
|Ready to get grouting!|
|Yep! This mama's still got it! 😎|
It has been awhile since I'd set any tile, but it came right back to me once I got started. Even the challenge of working with the Hardibacker didn't slow me down. I just persevered and got it done. My girls were a great help. My youngest sanded all of the cut edges for me and my oldest handed me the pieces as I set them. They both helped in the designing of the entry way too. This was a super fun project for us!