Thursday, July 5, 2018

Making July A Low Spend Month



My goal for July is to make it a "low spend" month knowing that August won't be as it will be back to school time once again.  But for this month I'm going to try to spend as little as I can get away with and sock as much as possible toward my savings goals.

In doing so I've set myself a new grocery budget and I plan to carry that forward on in to August and possibly even September as well.  My goal for groceries is to not spend more than $20 a week on food.  Can I do it?


Honestly, it shouldn't really be a problem.  Our freezers are jamb packed and our pantry is pretty full too.  Not to mention there isn't a whole lot of space in our refrigerator right now either.  After last month's bargains we are seriously full up!  And I am so happy about it and very thankful as well.

Last month I did a little more thrift shopping with my girls and both of them are pretty well set in the clothing department.  We also have plenty of school supplies on hand to fill up their backpacks for the new school year.  Both girls have backpacks and lunch boxes to reuse too.  Shoes, hats, gloves and winter coats are all good as well so no need to buy anything new or even second hand for that matter.  As for me I could use a new pair of work shoes and will be on the hunt for that, but even if I don't find a pair I won't be in dire straits.  I'm also well set for clothing and my winter coat is still in great shape.  I have a nice pair of winter boots and a few pair of gloves as well.  So as far as our wardrobes go there likely won't be any new purchases right away.


I have a lengthy project list going right now and that will be my biggest challenge as I work on that while keeping the expenses as low as possible.  So far I think I've done pretty well managing to reuse a lot of what I already have and purchase additional supplies with gift cards.  I'm also being careful to return what I don't use to the store and applying the refund amounts to new purchases so I'm not wasting anything.  Additionally I've redeemed some rewards points I've earned for various things I've done and received $75 in new gift cards to had to my current stash.  That will help a lot.

I'm actually excited to about my "low spend" month.  I always love a challenge and I think this will be a good one.  I'll let you all know how things go.



10 comments:

  1. Our low spend month is partly out of necessity and partly because our freezers are full to the brim. One medium sized chest freezer and one refrigerator freezer. Pantry has lots of goodies too. So my goal is to spend as little as possible but to still pick up the things we need when they are on stock up price this week. Our Smith's store (Kroger) had butter 1.99 and you can buy 5 so into the freezer it goes! Charmin double 12 packs at Food Maxx until the 10th for buy 2 and get them each at 3.99 so that's a buy too. On to the challenge! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I got some store brand TP, 12 double rolls at $2.99 so I bought 3. I saw the butter sale too and plan to stock up on that!

      Delete
  2. I have a friend who bought a dozen or so of the wrong curtain rod. When I told her, she just threw in the trash. I was horrified, took them out over her objections, returned them, and gave her the money. Today, I took a bag of returns to WM. I then turned around and spent it on sale paper plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thrown those rods away either. Good for you on your returns and buys.

      Delete
  3. The next several months will be low spend for us. I am no longer working and it’s going to be tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adjusting to one income? I bet you do great Lee Ann. :)

      Delete
  4. This month will also be low spend for me. I have been trying for months to get my pantry empty so I can clean it out. Since my Mom has moved in with my sister in another state, I have been cleaning out her pantry instead of mine. All of her food has been moved to my cupboards (too much food, first world problems). She bought many things I do not use so I must get creative.

    It is hard to buy groceries when your pantry is stuffed. Just to be clear, I am not complaining even though it sounds like I am.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat. We are stuffed to the gills around here too. No complaints, just stating a fact. ;)

      Delete
  5. Doing a low spend month here also. Property taxes are coming up and we are trying to save for our trip to Vegas in October. We would have been further along on that if we had not had major car repairs to pay for along with a new water heater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems to hit all at once, doesn't it? Good luck with your low spending.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...