Friday, February 22, 2019

Cleaning Cloths & Saving My $$



My cleaning rags were looking a bit dismal.  Most of them had holes in them and several had paint stains from using them last year on some of our projects.  I'd used up a few when we stained and painted and tossed those when we were done so what was left wasn't much to brag about.  Not that one really brags about their collection of rags.  LOL


When I was going through our things for  the 30 Bags In 30 Days challenge we did last month I came across a stack of hand towels we had used in the bathroom of our old travel trailer.  They didn't match our new decor so they had ended up in the linen closet.  Upon further inspection I found they were in good shape except they had stains on them so not worthy of donating.  But definitely worthy of a new purpose.


I cut them up into various sizes and hemmed all the raw edges so they won't unravel and leave a trail of strings and terry cloth fuzz behind when we use or wash them.  I simply folded over the edge a 1/4 inch and did a fairly tight zigzag stitch.  Nothing fancy, in fact I used the thread that was already on the machine.  Didn't even try to match it.  These are cleaning cloths after all.  Four old hand towels later I'm back in business with a nice big stack of cleaning cloths.


I gave up buying paper towels several years ago deciding to switch over completely to cloth for cleaning.  It is a decision I've never regretted.  Not only do I save $$ by not purchasing paper towels, but it is less I contribute to the landfill.  We do keep a roll of paper towels in our garage for really nasty stuff when we have a need, so not 100% paper towel free, but pretty dang close.


I've used a lot of different things to make cleaning rags over the years.  My favorite, hands down, is cutting up old towels.  I use old flour sack towels for cleaning mirrors and windows, a microfiber cloth for polishing furniture and terry cloth for just about everything else.  Super easy, super thrifty and super simple.



6 comments:

  1. I basically do the same thing you do but have never thought to finish the edges. Mine are kinda ugly and weird shaped but they do get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, as long as they get the job done that is all that matters. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this idea. As a kid, we always used old t-shirts for dusting and other cleaning. To this day, I still use newspaper to clean our mirrors and glass tabletops. Having paper towel was a luxury back then, so I use very little these days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper towels have become quite costly. I'm happy not to purchase them. :^)

      Delete
  3. I have large totes full of rags from going through my parents old clothes and linens..one bunch set aside for tossing after use...cleaning up cat yak or greasy dishes...also have not purchased paper towels in years...a roll of toilet paper easily reduces the need for a box of tissues, though I do keep one on hand for company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always cat yak to clean up. In fact, my cat just did! LOL

      I don't mind using toilet paper as tissue either. I consider it one of my luxury items and do keep it on hand stocking up when it is on sale. Kroger has been running their soft tissues for $1 a box for quite a while.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...