Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Minimalism Isn't For Everyone



I happen to be one of those!  While I truly admire those that are, I have no desire to be a minimalist.  I like my stuff too much and I admit I also like to acquire things.  I have a few collections and a love of vintage items.  I like to decorate and make things too.

While I don't wish to be a minimalist I do wish to be a minimizer.  I think, for me, it is important to minimize the items I keep in my home.  Clutter has an amazing way of gnawing at my psyche.  It makes my anxious and uncomfortable.


Last year I researched minimalism quite a bit.  I read articles and blogs, watched TV shows, documentaries and YouTube videos.  While it didn't make a convert out of me it did motivate me to continue my journey of minimizing.  I did the 30 Bags In 30 Days challenge last month and I am really glad that I did it.  Doing that challenge enabled me to start the year out on the right foot and make sure I don't hang onto things that we don't need to have in our home anymore.

Since moving back into our home nearly 4 1/2 years ago we have brought in a lot of new things.  We had purged, sold and donated our items to the point that we were able to downsize into a 27 foot travel trailer where we lived for a year.  When we moved back in we were literally starting over with our possessions and I loved it.  But I really didn't want to fill my house back up with crap again.


Before that time I spent over 5 years getting rid of the stuff I had accumulated in my lifetime.  The final six months I was ruthless.  It amazed me how much stuff I had squirreled away in every nook and cranny of my home.  Once it was finally gone I felt like I could fully breathe again.  It was quite an eye opening experience to realize how all that stuff had been affecting me over the years.

As I continue my journey of minimizing I am now much more mindful of the what I purchase, what I bring into our home and ultimately what I keep.  Many times I've thought about building a storage shed on our property, but then I realize that if I keep my possessions in check I don't need another building to store my stuff.


The things we own now, we use and enjoy.  I've gone through our home from top to bottom and made sure of that.  Moving forward I will be going through our things regularly and removing items we no longer need.  Every day I work on eliminating paper clutter (the bane of my existence) by going through mail, school papers and receipts and tossing them in the recycling bin or putting them on the shelf in my hall closet for burning.  Once that stack is a couple inches thick I take it outside and light a match.  Paper clutter can be overwhelming so I try to really stay on top of it.

This year I am planning to purchase less stuff.  We don't really need much so, in theory, this shouldn't be a big problem for me.  When I do buy something I want to be really intentional about it.  I don't want to be wasteful so I think it is important that I put more thought into what I spend my money on.


Do I really need or want it?  What is its purpose?  How often will I use it?  Is there something else I have that will already do the job?  Is this a quality item?  Is it priced well or can I do better?  I think asking these questions will make it easier for me to be more mindful of what I buy.  In the end I will spend less and save more of my hard earned money.

How do you feel about minimizing your possessions?  Is your home thinned out or do you have a ways to go?  Or, how do you feel about minimalism?  I'm curious.


10 comments:

  1. I can't be a minimalist as I like to "hobby" but I definitely need to thin things out and get rid of things. I am still going through things. Instead of just doing it this month I plan to spend time this year doing it. I am averaging a bag a week so at the end of the year that adds up to a lot. Like you paper continues to be my bane too. That and the photos that still linger on flashdrives. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on my own minimalism journey...having gotten rid of a lot the past few years I now have the equivalent of 2 empty rooms in my home...and am currently doing another pass through my vintage quilt fabric and wool for rug hooking...there is only so much a person can use in her lifetime...my collection of primitive smalls is next on the list...money from sales goes to extra mortgage payments, IRA and donations to my favorite animal shelter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kelley, that is amazing! Good for you. I really admire how you are using the proceeds to prepare for your future.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I think minimalists are a privileged group and it's a luxury. My immigrant mother who lived through wars and bleak times would be mortified by it. She always makes sure, even on her meager fixed income, that she has a healthy supply of certain things. I think she's smart. I also think there is a happy medium in minimalism and that's where I'm at. I've reached that sweet spot where our home is well stocked, I know what we have, and yet is uncluttered and contains things we actually use, or know we will use. It sounds like you've reached that sweet spot too, now it's all about maintenance :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how you've put that. I think I truly have found the sweet spot now. Thanks so much.

      I find that when I'm well stocked with the necessities I feel more secure. My grandmothers taught me that as yours has taught you. Smart women to be sure.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I need to hear all of this. I always feel better when I go through boxes and donate or recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am swamped in stuff. I have a bad case of Piles Disease. Piles and piles of things making me sick. Last month we quickly sold Mom's house and moved her into assisted living. We dumped many of her things here and now I am going through them. Progress is being made. My son Dustin quit his job and has moved back in. He has found a club of younger tech loving kids who are thrilled to get his abundant techno gadgets. He is boxing them up and explaining to them how the items can be used. Who knew there were so many uses for old vacuum tubes including being made into jewelry?
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that he found uses for all of that stuff. I'm sure they love getting those things. Good luck getting through all of your piles. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...