Monday, February 11, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



What a crazy busy week we just had.  Sunday I didn't do a whole lot other than the usual housework, laundry, meal prepping for the week ahead and spending some time with my girls.  Monday evening was high school orientation for my youngest. Yes, really.   My oldest volunteered to help out and we were home by 8:00 to reheat some leftovers for our supper.  Tuesday my oldest worked and the youngest had a basketball game to cheer at followed by a concert to play in.  Once again we were home by 8:00.  Wednesday and Thursday were two cheer practice days.  Friday I ended up doing my grocery shopping, came home and did a load of laundry and then got a few small projects completed.   Saturday was a full day ended by the youngest and I going to dinner at our friend's house and playing dominoes.  I feel like the week was over in a blink.

99¢ each!!

After the concert Tuesday my daughter and I stopped into Rite-Aid on the way home and hit the laundry detergent sale they were having.  I used three coupons I'd printed from Coupons.com and was able to get another jug of detergent, a package of the pods and a bottle of scent beads for 99¢ each.  I'm thinking the pods will be nice to send my oldest off to college with.  


I also picked up two foaming hand soaps on sale and with a coupon they were only $1.25 each.  I will likely send one of these along with my daughter as well and she'll be able to make her own homemade solution to refill it.

It's not supposed to look like this

The flush handle on our downstairs toilet broke.  I bartered with a friend of mine, who is a retired plumber, for a new handle he had in his garage and traded him two dozen farm fresh eggs for it.  Only took me a couple minutes to replace it and we were back in business.  


No trip to the hardware store and no $$ out of pocket.  I felt pretty good about that.

99¢ each!!

Friday, after work, I went to Walgreens and picked up another jug of laundry detergent and package of the pods for 99¢ each.  Again on sale and I had coupons.  Then over to Fred Meyer for a few items they had on sale, plus I had coupons to go along with.  I didn't really need anything so I was excited to get a few want items like corn dogs for the girl and sugar free yogurt for me.  I found a four pack of yogurt on markdown for $1.99.  I had a digital coupon for 75¢ OFF and a paper coupon for $1 OFF making my final price 24¢!  Yippee!

Shampoo & conditioner 49¢ each, razors 99¢ 

Another great deal I got was to pick up another bottle of shampoo and one of conditioner on sale and with a $3 OFF digital coupon making the final price only 49¢ each!  I was also able to get a 12 pack of razors for 99¢, also on sale and with a $2 OFF coupon.

24¢ after 75¢ digital coupon & $1 paper coupon!

At both stores I bought gum and candy on sale and with coupons for my girls Easter bags I'm putting together.   As I've mentioned before I'm trying to stick to a $10 budget for my girls Easter gift so I'm on the hunt for things to purchase for as little as possible.

Gum 89¢ each, extra large M&M candy bars 75¢ each

I cleaned, purged and reorganized underneath the upstairs bathroom sink.  I also did the linen closet and we got rid of another bag of crap we don't need or use.  Yes!  The linen closet is now able to store the extra bottles of laundry detergent and toiletries I've been purchasing lately.

One bag trash, one bag of purged items from upstairs bathroom & linen closet

We gathered up all the trash in the house and added two small bags to the garbage bin and set it at the curb for Thursday morning pick up.  We added a lot of items to our recycle bin.  We composted coffee grounds, tea bags, onion skins, banana peels and egg shells.

I trimmed my bangs.

We try to recycle every item we can

I rinsed out an "empty" bottle of laundry detergent and a bottle of fabric softener and had enough to a load of laundry.  I added the empty bottles to our recycle bin.

So happy I added this tile entry way in front of our door.

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - vacuumed floors & shook the rug.  Daily swish & swipe.  Moved washer & dryer, vacuumed, scrubbed walls & floor, washed down appliances.

Dining Room - vacuumed & spot mopped the floor.

Kitchen -  vacuumed & mopped floor, cleaned microwave & stove top, bleached the sink.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  My oldest cleaned the bathroom & upstairs hallway.

Other - four loads of laundry, dusted & vacuumed living room, hallway & entry, mopped tile entry.

How was your thrifty week?


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Some great deals. Good on ya! Remember that with Boise’s new “Energy Bag” recycling program, plastics with a 3 thru 7 (such as that Cool Whip carton) go in the Hefty Energy Bag, not loose in your blue bin. The new program is awesome, but can be confusing. We went to one of their open houses to get our questions answered, and I’m still fishing stuff out of our blue bin that my family accidentally tosses in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I'm always sorting the bin as well and putting stuff in the orange bag. It happens. Have a great day Meg.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...