Monday, February 25, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



This last week blasted right past me.  It was our busiest week so far this year, the busiest we've had in quite some time.  Before I knew it, it was over and done with.  Monday was even a school holiday!

One of my lunches

I meal prepped on Sunday and it is a really good thing that I did.  I managed to prepare and cook up enough things to get us through the week ahead so meals were fast and easy.  I made ground turkey taco meat for myself, beef and bean burrito filling for the girls, a pot roast in the slow cooker, some bratwurst patties and we still had some leftovers from the week prior to finish up.  Plenty of suppers and lunches the next day to keep us going.  Fresh salads, some steamed asparagus and frozen broccoli for quick sides.

I made these little keto chocolates

Tuesday morning both kids had dentist appointments, my youngest had cheer practice after school and my oldest had to work, Wednesday the youngest cheered at a basketball game.  Thursday my oldest had to be at school by 7:00 a.m. for an all day band clinic and my youngest had an orthodontist appointment after school, the oldest had to be picked up from school after that and dropped off at work.  I hit the grocery store on the way home.


Friday the oldest had a basketball game to attend.  While she was at the game I managed to get in for a haircut.  First one in a year so I was definitely in need.  I had downloaded a coupon to my phone and saved $5 too.  I stopped in at Rite Aid afterward and picked up a bottle of hair dye that was on sale.  It has been over a year since I've done any coloring and I'm ready for a change, I think.  I still had time left so I popped into Family Dollar and picked up a few items that were on sale along with a couple bags of cat food.  I had loads of coupons to use and ended up leaving with quite a few freebies.


Saturday the youngest went to a sleepover and the oldest went to work.  Along with everything else going on we had snow, wind, cold and yucky roads to deal with.  I went to work early every day and put in a bit of overtime to get caught up on things there as well.  By Saturday evening I was ready for a break.

I picked up chicken breasts for $1.49 a pound

We composted the usual items, fed our kitchen scraps to the hens, put several items into our big blue recycle bin and only added one grocery bag full of trash to our garbage bin.  Because the recycle bin is only a quarter of the way full and we decided not to set anything at the curb for collection last week.

Sirloin steak & asparagus

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - super scrubbed the sink & toilet, vacuumed floors & rug, cleaned the mirrors.  Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed the floor.

Kitchen -  vacuumed & spot mopped floor, cleaned the microwave.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  My oldest cleaned the bathroom.

Other - three loads of laundry, dusted & vacuumed living room, hallway & entry.

How was your thrifty week?


12 comments:

  1. Oh your Keto chocolates looks so yummy! Would you be willing to share the recipe? You are always so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me tired just listening to all you accomplished this week! I have spent today burning wood from the three huge trees we had chopped down. We have spent most of the week at home because we are leery about leaving a big fire blazing in the yard.

    I too, am working on emptying and then defrosting my freezer. I have been putting it off for over a year now because it is always full of food. I am writing a date on my calendar as a goal so I won't forget.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not slouch either missie. Those were some BIG trees and it is a lot of work to clean all of that up.

      Delete
    2. At least I have a good excuse for being exhausted!

      Delete
  3. It seems it never ends, between work, keeping up with things at home, plus running my two boys to their activities. Thankfully hubby is very involved, he does grocery shopping, nearly all the cooking, he does the cleaning out of the chicken coop while the boys do the feed and water for the birds. I can’t imagine how anyone has time to schedule going to the salon. Thankfully hubby is great with the clippers and shears. I have him give my boys their monthly haircuts and he cuts mine every couple of months. My boys’ hair grows so fast, they cannot go longer between haircuts and if I go longer than two months, I notice my ends getting splits and looking uneven. I am very particular about my hair, I like having my ends kept neatly trimmed. It saves me hundreds a year and a lot of time. It takes him about ten minutes each to do each of the boys’ hair and about 20 minutes or so to do mine. So it is very convenient and saves me the hassle. I had a friend stop by to visit while I was getting my hair trimmed, she watched very intently as she sipped her coffee, and as hubby was uncaping me jokingly said, “I’m next!” He didn’t miss a beat, he said have a seat and she did. He asked how much she wanted off, then trimmed her hair. She was pleased and thanked him for saving her $60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I wish I had someone willing and able to trim my hair. I can do my bangs and I do every other month, but my ends are harder. It had been almost a year since I've been to the salon so that tells you how often I manage to find the time. Ha, ha.

      Delete
    2. I used to space out visits to the salon before I met my husband to several months. I can’t imagine waiting that long anymore, but then again I don’t dread getting mine cut anymore as I enjoy having him do my hair as I know he is not going to screw it up like they always did at the salon. And it doesn’t cost me a penny to take a seat on the stool and have him do my hair. I had bangs for awhile but they grew so fast they were always in my eyes. To maintain bangs, they need to be trimmed about every two weeks and my skills doung them were not the greatest, that is why I am not allowed to cut anyone’s hair, my boys fired me after my one attempt. Perhaps your older daughter might be able to trim your hair for you being you have the tools to cut hers. This is a video that is pretty much the way my husband does my hair. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ixwCfku3fY&t=0s&index=2&list=PLvStG_S9nRfypXLlk4CDDwl3hE3AVOsQF

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...