Thursday, February 21, 2019

One Year Of Keto



Hard to believe it has been one year now since I began my Keto Journey.  The biggest surprise for me is that I've stuck to it!  It has been an amazing time for me, to be sure, and the benefits of this lifestyle are incredible.  I am so very happy I decided to take the leap.  Keto has given me my life back!


I had so many crazy things going on this time last year.  My health was tanking and I was really sick with nonstop migraines, auto immune issues, high blood pressure, intense back pain due to a kidney that wasn't functioning properly and several other problems.  I was facing another round of steroids that I absolutely did not want to take due to the fact that one they didn't seem to help much and two the side effects were awful.  Needles to say my anxiety was off the charts and I felt like I was spiraling fast.  No one likes to feel hopeless, but there I was.  I was really scared too.


Never in a million years did I think something as simple as changing my eating habits could have made such an impact.  I dove in head first, figuring I had nothing to lose at that point.  I was hoping it would help.  Keto not only helped it began to turn everything around.


Within two weeks I felt amazing.  I never did get the Keto Flu, or if I did, it was better than how I was feeling to begin with.  The first thing I noticed was all the swelling in my body flushed itself away.  I lost 8 pounds of water and my clothes fit.  I was able to sleep through the night and when I woke up I wasn't in as much pain and I felt rested.  As time went on pain was no longer my constant companion.  Nor was my anxiety.  I felt calmer.


My body began to change.  I was on this Keto journey to improve my health.  My focus was not on weight loss because I knew that would happen anyway so I didn't worry about it.  I got stronger, my muscles began to function and I was able to do things like I should be.  I began to to do repairs and updates to my house.  I spent more time with my friends.  I began to have tons of energy.  I wanted to do stuff!  And I did.


My health stabilized.  The migraines have subsided.  In the past year I've only had two, instead of two or three per month.  My blood pressure has gone down, my kidney is behaving itself, my back pain went away, my muscles no longer hurt and my joints don't ache.  The nonstop tinnitus I was suffering gives me a reprieve during the daytime.  I'm hopeful it will continue to improve.  My mood is so much better and my anxiety is much more manageable to the point I often forget it is an issue.  My hormone levels are normal for the first time in years.  I feel good.


I did lose weight.  Thirty six pounds in total.  I am now at the weight I was six years ago before all of this nonsense began to get out of control.  All of my clothes fit.  I'm at the weight I am supposed to be and I recognize myself again.  I am 54 years old and I feel like I did when I was 40.


Mentally I'm much sharper and clearer than I have been in a long time.  No more brain fog.  I feel like I'm able to make better decisions with regard to all the different areas of my life.  Last summer I changed jobs and I love what I do and my coworkers too.  I have an amazing boss and I enjoy going to work each day.   When I come home to my beautiful home I find I'm very happy to be here and I enjoy it so much more.  I'm better off financially, spiritually and emotionally.  I'm hopeful, I'm grateful and for the first time in a very, very long time I'm optimistic about my future.  I'm back in control.


There is no doubt in my mind that this Keto journey has literally saved my life.


20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your keto journey and being able to stick to it! Feeling better and being healthier are the greatest rewards.

    If you feel able to share, I would love to know how your doctors feel about your keto diet? Do they approve? Are any skeptical? Did one of your drs. actually suggest it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. My doctor did suggest it and I know that isn't the norm, but it is strongly recommended for people with autoimmune issues as well as neurological so it made total sense for me to do this.

      Delete
  2. Long time lurker here (I love your blog), but wow, if that's not an advert for keto I don't know what is. I'm so happy for you that everything seems to be coming up roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a true blessing. I'm so happy with how things have turned around for me.

      Delete
  3. I have been doing keto also and it does help with so many things. Glad it has been so successful for you! I will admit I have had sporadic days here and there when I have been off of it and I feel bad until I get back in ketosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still blows my mind how much better I feel. And it is consistent day to day. I am really glad you are doing it too.

      Delete
  4. My husband has been on a modified Keto diet for 1 1/2 years. Lost 105 pounds. No more sleep apnea or acid reflux. Takes no daily meds. Looks good. Feels so much better. We do look for and try new keto foods as time and $ permit but don't make a habit of looking for the newest latest and greatest for him. My heart Dr. won't let me do a keto diet because I can't tolerate too much protein. Also I'm not a huge meat eater to begin with. I love veggies and when I eat more of them I tend to loose weight and also water that my body retains. If I stay away from sugar I don't have as much fibromyalgia and other pain. (unless I have a flare up which is rare anymore. All in all you just need to find what works for you and your health! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your husband is doing well. Did you know you can do vegetarian keto? I had no idea, but it's true. Amazing how many ways we have to heal through diet. Keep up the good work you guys.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you are in less pain and your overall health has improved so much. I really need to look into keto.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have zero regrets for doing it. I'm so proud of myself for sticking to it and making it such an important part of my life now.

      Delete
  6. Congrats!!! Glad you are feeling so much better.

    Take care, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. you deserve a standing ovation! so happy for all the positive changes Keto has helped you achieve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. I really feel that keto has given me my life back. So grateful for this transformation.

      Delete
  8. This is awesome!!! You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of you! You have done a wonderful Job! I hope when I finish up my year of Plant Based that I feel as accomplished as you! Dietary changes do make a HUGE difference. So glad you are being freed from those awful migraines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace. I am proud of myself too and so happy with the results.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful posting! I shared your link with a friend who has been doing kept with her husband for just about a month. I knew this would encourage her. Doctors used to try to scare everyone that they would end up with a heart attack, but that has not been supported by research. In fact, just the opposite. It is the sugar that has been killing us! Congratulations on your wonderful results on this diet. I think it would be good for just about everyone. Just need to check in with their doctors first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage anyone to try it. And if your doctor won't support it, find one that does. Your are basically eating plants and animals and none of the crap. It makes sense!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...