Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Gift Wrap Supplies & Saving My $$



In the spirit of using up what I already have and spending less I took a good look at my gift wrap supplies.  In fact, on Christmas day I gathered up any reusable tissue paper, bows, gift boxes and gift bags.  I went through all of the supplies I had leftover and did a little bit of a purge and reorganize of everything I have.


I have loads of bows I collected and put into a box and several spools of ribbon.  I have more than enough Christmas gift tags to last several Christmases.  Some I made and some are from a grab bag I purchased at a thrift store last year.


I folded and put all of the tissue paper into a gallon size Ziploc bag.  I gathered up all of the gift bags and tucked them inside a large gift bag to keep them together.  Gift boxes were flattened and I was able to fit them all inside a larger gift box.  I have a small assortment of boxes for treats as well as cellophane bags for Christmas, Valentine's Day and Halloween.  I also have two gift card boxes.


The only thing I can think that I would want to buy would be a single roll of gift wrap that would work for any occasion like birthdays or a shower gift.  I am completely out of birthday wrap, we used it all up last year, but I'm not 100% sure I even need to do that, but I might want to.  If I do decide to pick up a roll I will likely get one at the dollar store.  They have a nice selection to choose from and you sure can't beat the price.  So, if I do purchase anything  I guess I only really need to spend a $1.  I'd say that is pretty good.


For the most part it looks like I am very well set for all of the holidays.  More than enough to wrap gifts for the next couple of years.  Maybe I need to give more gifts.  Ha!




6 comments:

  1. I have loads and loads of Christmas wrapping paper bought on clearance, so much so, that I didn't even buy any this year. I love Christmas wrapping paper, and wrapping Christmas presents. To me, part of the gift is the wrapping. I rarely use stick on bows, but use wired ribbon, raffia, bells, etc., which I gather and save for the next year.
    For all other gifts, You might want to check out your local newspaper office and see if they give away the ends of the rolls of newsprint. About 15 years ago, DH went to our local newspaper office to renew our subscription, and came home with a roll of newsprint. He said they had set the ends out in the lobby for anybody who wants them. I wrap all my birthday and other gifts with this paper. It looks great with fancy ribbon. That first roll lasted about 10 years. By the time I used up it, the paper was no longer being printed in town. When errands brought us past the newspaper office's of the town about 30 miles away where it was being printed, DH stopped to see if they were giving away ends. They gave him one of each size--the standard newspaper roll, and a shorter roll of smoother, whiter paper, which they use for fancy inserts.
    I use this paper for a lot of other things besides wrapping gifts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is super cool Meg. I never would've thought about doing that.

      Delete
  2. Regarding the gift wrap, I try to keep a roll of either solid white or brown paper wrap handy. Those two solid colors will work for any occasion and you can purchase big rolls like butchers use in the white or brown, super cheap. Also, my daughter would use the white one as drawing paper when she was young - just rip off a sheet and there you go! Those rolls last forever!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of brown butcher paper with red ribbon. Thanks for the reminder. I think next time I shop at Winco I'll use their brown shopping bags. I can save those to use for gift wrap! :)

      Delete
  3. I got all my gift wrap organized after Christmas. I have started making gift bags from fabrics I cut from old formals I bought at thrift stores for a buck each. Using old clothes as yard goods was eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that idea Anne. I've got parts of an old wedding dress in my fabric stash. I could make a gift bag or two. Now you've got me thinking. How fun!!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...