Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Sunday Dinner - Under $5!



My girls love pasta and their favorite dish is spaghetti.  Several years ago I posted my easy go-to recipe that I use a lot to make this meal.  Not only is it an easy recipe to prepare but very thrifty as well.


It can be even thriftier when I find the ingredients on sale and use coupons to lower the price even more.  Lately I've been really focused on lowering our grocery bill and getting items at the lowest possible price to make my dollars stretch as far as possible.

Definitely Whoohoo!  This was a great bargain 😊

This meal is a perfect example of how my efforts are paying off.  The main ingredient, the sausage, I found marked down at $1.99.  I sliced it up and cooked it in a little bit of olive oil, then added a jar of pasta sauce I bought for 99¢ and a can of Italian style diced tomatoes for 45¢.  The pasta was on sale a couple weeks ago and I used a coupon I received in the mail to shave even more off the price making it only 32¢ a package.  Total spent on this pot of pasta came in at $3,75.


I made a simple salad out of a bag of lettuce mix I picked up for 98¢.  For less than $5 I was able to feed my family a delicious meal.  Plus, there were plenty of leftovers to enjoy for another supper as well as lunches the next two days.


Surprisingly, it doesn't have to cost a lot to create a really good meal.  And this was a supper I'd be perfectly fine serving to guests as well.  With a little creativity in shopping, taking advantage of sales items and pairing coupons with those items whenever possible to lower prices even more I'm able to make a lot of thrifty meals like this.


2 comments:

  1. Your best point here was the leftovers. Not only did you come up with a good meal at a great cost, but you have another 'free' meal plus lunches. That REALLY makes a difference in the food budget. I try hard, as well, if eating out, to bring home 1/4 - 1/2 of the food, then reuse it for another meal. If I use coupons for the restaurant (and we usually do), that also makes a difference. (Happy Valentine's Day, by the way, to you and your wonderful girls.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonus meals are the best! We also try to use coupons for dining out or do the lunch menu. (Happy Valentines Day to you too Cindy)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...