Friday, November 8, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - Starting The Downstairs Bedroom



You probably have guessed by now that I'm back in project mode and the downstairs bedroom is finally getting a much needed makeover.  I started this past Saturday and worked the entire weekend on it and, as time allowed, off and on throughout the week.  I'm making amazing progress and I couldn't be happier.

It hasn't been very functional in here since August
Drives me nuts!!

This was my bedroom for the last five years.  When my daughter left for college I redid her room which was the upstairs master bedroom and moved myself back into it.  All of her stuff ended up down here in a fair bit of a mess.  I was just getting ready to tackle this project when the realtor showed up so for about six weeks it was put on hold.  Now that we've put that whole matter to rest it was definitely time to get back to it.

Very simple and basic in here

New trim going up!

During the last  five years I've imagined in my mind how I wanted to redo this room.  Ultimately it will be our guest room so my daughter has a nice place to stay when she visits, my sewing room, a craft room and our family room.  It will a very multi-use space for us.  Probably the busiest room in our house.


All of this trim is what I gleaned from the FREE WOOD BIN
over the past 2 years with this very idea in mind

I have seriously disliked not having trim around this door

And then...

It happened!  The door finally had trim on it again.

I toughed it out in here with walls in desperate need of paint and a door with no trim around it.  There were some holes in the walls where our tenants had mounted a TV as well as stained carpet from I don't know what they spilled on it.  I haven't had the time or budget to do anything much in here except to replace the light fixture and repair the door they had broken.  Somehow the doorjamb had been broken (hence why I had to remove the trim) and I had to fix that so it was functional and air tight.  Needless to say I have no desire to rent my home to anyone ever again!

And then...

The window got some new trim too!

This room is definitely the space I'm putting together from leftovers and it is going to be amazing.  I'm so excited to see it transforming.  I began by putting up trim similar to the rest of the house.  Because this space used to be part of our garage you step down into it and there are tall ceilings.  I'm doing the trim in such a way as to visually bring down the height as well as to add some pretty architectural detail.

And then I got to caulk it all

I spent two hours caulking, but it makes such a difference
I couldn't possibly skip this step

There will be paint and this room will have a fair bit of color in it.  I'm super excited about that.  It is not in our budget to replace the carpet quite yet so I'll be giving it a good shampooing and hope for the best.  I think it will be just fine.

Here's a teaser!  I know how you guys are all into that sort of thing 😆

So that is what I've been up to lately.  I can't wait to finish it up and get busy with the decorating and organizing.  And then to get to use it!  It is so very exciting!



11 comments:

  1. I am curious...
    Do you not consider your daughter living with you anymore because she is in college? What about semester breaks and summers? I have had two go to college with one graduated and one a junior. I left their rooms alone (other than cleaning) until the older one was established in a career and ready to move out about a year after graduation. The one currently in college will have the same chance. I def do not want want my children to move home after moving out after graduation so don't think i am that crazy. I just still consider them a resident in our home while they are in college.
    I am just curious about other families traditions and choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't jump to conclusions now. This room is still in progress so you will need to wait and see what the final outcome is.

      Delete
  2. Lisa, that is exactly what I wanted to comment. It's NOT a criticism at all, it's just it seemed like your oldest doesn't have a welcome sign out. When my daughter left to go to UCSC, she came home at least once a month and her room was well, her room.Then after she graduated she came home for a while as well. Life does happen that sometimes we need to be flexible. BTW, we only have 2 bedrooms so this was certainly a bit of a sacrifice but I wanted her to feel this was still her home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Just wait and see how it all ends up. :)

      Delete
  3. I have heard horror stories of people who rented their home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All it takes is faith and trust
    --and a little pixie dust!
    I have faith and trust that your daughter will love having this new room as her crash pad WHENEVER she needs/wants it!
    And I know who's supplying the pixie dust! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she will too! I'm so excited for her to come home for Thanksgiving and give it a whirl.

      Delete
  6. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...