Tuesday, November 19, 2019

New Bedding On A Budget



As I mentioned last week I really had no budget for our downstairs bedroom upgrade and that was no joke.  With everything looking so nice I really had my heart set on new bedding for my daughter's bed.  New bedding would really tie things together nicely and give the room a much more adult feel.  Plus her comforter was nearly ten years old and although still usable it was more geared for a teenager than a college student, in my opinion.  Her tastes have changed as has this bedroom.

The sheets and blanket are soft and cozy

The sheets and blanket she left behind are a different story and were very well worn.  They are definitely showing their age.  In fact I have plans to cut up her blanket to make kitty and bunny blankets out of it and the sheets will most likely become rags or drop cloths.  So if nothing else I needed to replace a set of sheets and a blanket.

The comforter is reversible

While at Wal-Mart one day I decided to take a quick peek at their bedding.  I'm not a huge fan of their Mainstays brands and the microfiber sheets they sell, but I did happen across 300 thread count percale sheets in the Better Homes & Garden brand that I thought wouldn't be bad at all.  The price for a set of sheets was $19.83 so I grabbed those and went to find a blanket to match.  My original thought was to see if I could get by with just a blanket for the time being and look for or make a quilt or comforter later on.

The curtains were a bonus item.  I was not expecting to get these.
We already had the curtain rod so that worked out really well.

As luck would have it I found a lovely soft blanket for $10.46.  It looked nice and warm too.  Then I went to look at comforters and quilts finding nothing that made be jump for joy.  But as I was leaving I did see one lone twin sized comforter set tucked in a corner that was the same color as the sheets and blanked and reversible with a chocolate brown side.  And only $15.67 with a sham!  I added that to my basket and figured I was pretty much done until I happened down yet another aisle.

I fell in love with this throw

The holiday collection of faux fur throws had me thinking once again and I snapped up one for $14.93.  Since I was on a roll and hadn't spent nearly what I was expecting to I went ahead and picked up a set of chocolate brown light blocking curtains for $14.96.  Needless to say I was quite surprised to find all of this at a low price and a decent quality too.  And I got curtains!

I can hardly wait for my daughter to test it all out!


The whole shopping excursion was completely unplanned and with no budget set aside it all had to come from our regular household budget.  So this month we won't eat out, go to the movies, or buy any clothes, etc., but that is just fine.  We are pretty thrilled with having this bedroom redone and the final results.


8 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! You've done another great job, as usual. Your daughter will love it. I think it is fun to pinch those pennies to get something beautiful like this, so great. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I don't think it looks discount at all either. I was so excited when I found all of this. And for this price. Just meant to be.

      Delete
  2. I purchased a set of 100% cotton percale sheets from Walmart for one of the bedrooms in our FL home. Frankly, they were every bit as good, better, in fact, than a set of very expensive cotton sheets DH felt compelled to order from a radio advertisement. (I returned them, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good to know Meg. I'm hoping they will hold up well. Everything washed really nicely so I was already impressed. If not I was taking it all back! ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice price for such a pretty, cohesive look! Don't you love the way things can magically come together when you aren't even really looking? Quick--go buy a lottery ticket! :^D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, honestly. Couldn't have asked for better! I should've grabbed a lottery ticket too. So right. LOL

      Delete
  4. The purple and green pillows are great. You got a lot of value for your money. It all looks great. You will not even mind giving up a few things this month. You can just look at the lovely room you have created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have those pillows in my living room, but I stuck them there and put out my Christmas pillows. I love to go in the bedroom and just look at it. It feels as nice as it looks. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...