Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Less Than 1 Month Left To Get Ready For Christmas



As I've mentioned before we are keeping our Christmas quite simple this year, particularly with gift giving.  The girls and I agreed to exchange small inexpensive gifts with each other and keep our meals smaller and less extravagant.  Nonetheless, I have every expectation that we will enjoy a very lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  We are truly blessed to have so much in our lives and for all of that I am truly, truly grateful.


With less than one month until the big day I am happy with where things are currently sitting.  In September I updated my Christmas card list, gathered up my cards I planned to send out and addressed all my envelopes complete with stamps and return address labels.  I had just enough stamps leftover from last year that I do not need to buy anymore as well as plenty of cards and labels in my stash.  Since then I've been working on drafting our annual letter, fine tuned it and printed it out on some pretty stationary I have in my paper stash.  All that is left to do is add the letters to the cards, sign the cards and get them all into the mail sometime the first week in December.

I got out my gift wrap bin and did some wrapping

Also in September I received a coupon as well as a sales flyer in my email from the Vanity Fair Outlet store.  They had faux fur throws on sale for $6.97 each so I picked up one for each of us for the coming winter.  They are really nice, come hanging on velvet hangers and retailed originally for $29.99.  I was super excited about them.  Then I realized they'd be perfect for the girls for Christmas gifts so I tucked them away with that thought in mind.  A couple weeks ago I pulled out my gift wrap bin and used gift boxes, tissue paper, gift labels and curling ribbon I already had on hand to wrap them up.  I plan on one more gift for each girl plus their usual stocking stuffers and that will pretty much be it for gifts this year.


September must've been my month to get Christmas things done because I made my co-worker gifts at the end of the month.  I had picked a big bucket of pears from our tree in the backyard.  There were far more than we could eat so I cut up most of them putting the pears into my slow cooker.  I used spices and sugar from my pantry to make a nice batch of pear butter that yielded six half pint jars.  I used lids and jars I already had on hand to can the pear butter, labels I had to put on the jars and then fabric circles I had cut from fabric scraps with pinking shears to cover the tops of each jar.  A homemade gift tag filled out for each one will be attached and I'll give these out to my boss and four team members.  For the rest of my co-workers I plan to take in a big platter of cookies and some fudge to share with the group.

I use the recipe on the back of the Kraft marshmallow creme
jar to make my fudge.  Turns out perfect every time.

I've amassed quite a collection of tins and boxes perfect for giving food gifts.  I'd really like to use some of those up as they take up a lot of space in the closet so this year our friends and family will be receiving a tin filled with homemade fudge and cookies made in our kitchen.  I've got plenty of waxed paper, ribbon, bows, treat bags and gift tags to spruce it all up and I think they will be very much enjoyed.  Simple and nice as well as very tasty.  Plus we get the joy of baking cookies and making fudge which we really do enjoy.


Our Christmas Eve dinner will be the same as we have every year.  Clam chowder, garlic cheddar biscuits and a big green salad.  It is our traditional meal.  Instead of a roast or expensive steaks this year on Christmas Day the girls and I have decided a simple Chicken Alfredo with some pasta would be perfect and that is what we will have.  It will be delicious and satisfying I'm sure.  I will steam some broccoli and make another fresh salad to go with it.  I do plan to stay Keto through the holidays, but my girls will still be enjoying their favorites.


Pretty much everything we need for baking and making fudge as well as our holiday meals I already have in my freezer or pantry.  I'll make a grocery run for fresh produce and dairy, but for the most part we are well set in the food department.  We aren't planning to do much entertaining in December, however that can always change and usually does, but I've got plenty of snack type foods like cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, that sort of thing on hand so no worries there.  We'll be ready for pretty much anything.

My gift wrap bin is FULL of stuff to use up

Where are you at with your holiday preparations?  How are you planning to celebrate?  What is on the menu at your house?  Do you do a lot of holiday baking?



10 comments:

  1. We do a pretty simple Christmas every year. Small decorations that have meaning to us, going to see the lights, Christmas Eve Service, Christmas books, movies and music. Gifts are small and usually practical but always appreciated. Sometimes they are goofy gifts like the year I found my husbands favorite mints while visiting family in Oregon and bought 24 packs of them on clearance or the kitchen garbage can with a lid he gave me for Christmas. I had wanted one but just never wanted to spend the money. Always send a box to my granddaughter since she was born. She is 20 and still loves to get her Christmas box. We have a meal and movies Christmas Day. Usually snacky foods and Soup or salad or baked potatoes. One favorite was the year we had hogie buns and meats, cheeses and all the trimmings to make our own sub sandwiches. Easy for me too! We use paper plates if we can. Very few dishes. That's about it. I love that you find such great bargains and have lovely traditions with your girls. That's what it's all about. Family and friends. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Christmas traditions sound so very nice. I love the idea of the hoagies. Smart and delicious! Goofy gifts are fun and so unexpected. Traditions are the best part of Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Do I do holiday baking? Do I ever! Shortly after Halloween I started on our fruitcake. My recipe yielded two loaves and one 9 inch round. I fed them for about two weeks, and we have already devoured one of the loaves. Last night I made my first batch of fudge, and I have been making apple turnovers with apples gleaned from our old property. This past weekend, since the kids were off on Thursday and Friday, I made a Nutella, and a raspberry cream cheese pull apart Christmas tree bread, as well as a cranberry walnut quick bread.
    Tomorrow I start pre-cooking the Thanksgiving feast. I'll assemble the green bean casserole, twice baked potatoes and gelatin salad, as well as bake a pecan pie. I will probably also bake a pumpkin pie depending on how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been very busy! I love the baking and cooking around the holidays. In my kitchen I'm in my element. Everything you mentioned makes my mouth water. I'm going to start preparing for Thanksgiving tomorrow as well. So excited!

      Delete
  3. We'll be traveling (at our house in Oregon) & visiting family. At the very end of the vacation, we'll head to Lake Tahoe & ski - if there is any snow. Fingers crossed.

    As a result, we bought the kids ski passes this year for Christmas. We will likely get them 1-2 small gifts to open (books? a small game?) & that will be it. We don't exchange gifts for adults, & I need to pick up a gift for my nephew (a gift card for a local activity, as we try to do experiences) & make a Christmas craft. I'm looking forward to everything. We keep the holidays really mellow.

    I do make one item - cardamom bread, & will be likely making that this weekend, & putting it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have some great plans. Tahoe is so pretty. Enjoy all the fun and festivities! Safe travels too. :0)

      Delete
  4. Since my home was destroyed and a lifetime of nice and unusual baking items, I will do less. Actually, chronic fatigue syndrome and a back problem will keep me from doing much baking. However, I am cooking the basics for Thanksgiving Day and always have the same for Christmas Day. I have a hen standing in for turkey. I doubt I could get a turkey out of the oven. I sort of dump it into the oven. Tommy might be able to get it out, but hen will work. I have four grandchildren, two boys and two girls. There gifts are under $10 and my three kids get a family type gift. I am almost done. I have to mail one box to south Texas and one to NYC. So, I need to get onto it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a lovely dinner planned for tomorrow. Enjoy! I'm praying your circumstances turn around for you and that you will be blessed. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I am buying all of the gifts for my Oregon family members next week when we are out there. The New York crew? Who knows? Son2 and Dil2 live here and reap the rewards of being available to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it is even that time already. Enjoy your trip to Oregon Anne. Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...