Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - The Downstairs Bedroom Is Complete



I literally busted my butt to get this project completed in record time.  I was completely on my own too as one of my girls is away at college and the other one is super busy with school and dance team.  So no helpers this time.  Nonetheless, I was able to push through and get it done.  I began on Saturday putting in a full day plus another full day on Sunday.  I didn't get to pick it up again until Wednesday and finished it up on Thursday so about four days to complete this which I think is pretty darn good.  I feel like I have really made up for lost time.

Already an amazing transformation

It took one gallon to give the ceiling and all the trim two coats of paint

After all the trim was installed and caulked I gave it as well as the ceiling and the wall space between both rows of trim two good coats of Pure White by Behr.  I love this paint!  It really looked good at this point and I wasn't even done.  The hardest part after painting this much was to wait two days to allow it to dry and cure enough to be able to tape it off for the next phase of this project.

I think I like taping almost as much as I enjoy caulking - ha, ha!

First bit of color on the walls!

After putting in that much effort there was no way I wanted to risk peeling off the white paint because I was in too big of a rush so patience prevailed and I waited.  In the meantime I kept myself occupied with a little trip over to a friends to borrow their carpet cleaner and a shopping trip for new bedding.  I haven't shopped for bedding like this in quite a while so it was really a lot of fun!




By Wednesday I felt I'd given the white paint enough time and got to work taping them off and getting ready for the final painting.  The walls got two coats of this beautiful green paint, Sweet Grass by Behr, that I absolutely love.  Boy does it pop against that white.  So very pretty.  My heart was really singing at this point.  I know it is not everyone's taste, but I really do like it.



Then everything else came out of the room so I could clean the carpet.  I used some stain remover on the heavy traffic area and then cleaned them thoroughly with hot water and vinegar.  Box fans were set in place to dry them and once again I waited.  It was agony.  I was so excited to put this room back together again.

Sewing and craft area.  The top folds down out
of the way to give us more space if we need it to set up an extra bed....
or play Twister....

When I got home from work the carpet was nice and dry.  I was able to put my daughter's bed back together and put the furniture back in place.  The new bedding I got for her bed is so pretty and super plush.  She will sleep like a baby.  And it is very adult, which she now is and I definitely wanted to reflect that.  I did keep her old sheets and comforter just in case she still wants it.  I think she will like this much better.

This far exceeds my expectations

Over a month ago I had picked up a bookcase from Facebook Marketplace with big plans for what I am going to use it for.  It needed a little bit of love and a good cleaning, but certainly nothing I couldn't handle.  Stay tuned for more about that new furniture piece and what I end up doing with it.

My daughter's kitty has already made herself at home


With the room complete we are now ready for the holidays and my daughter's first overnight visit home for Thanksgiving.  In fact, my youngest is planning to setup the air bed in there so they can have a slumber party and hang out together, which I think is super cool.  This room is going to be so nice for us.  I can hardly wait!  And, I can hardly wait for my oldest to see this new space I've created for her.  She is going to love it, I just know it.



30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke. I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic! Great job! I know your daughter will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that color green, and it plays off the white so beautifully! Now that's a bedroom anyone would be happy in! Great makeover, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super..so neat and clean and that color really pops! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very well done!! You have been blessed with great skills!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. :0)

      Delete
  6. Great job! I like the colors. The brown goes wonderfully with the green. Oh my goodness, waiting IS the hardest part! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I waited a looonnng time for this makeover. It feels amazing to finally have it completed.

      Delete
  7. I love the color, I'm sure your daughter will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she will really like it. It is very calm and serene.

      Delete
  8. It does look so nice and fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful makeover! I really love what you did to the wall with the trim, a beautiful accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that fun? I've had that idea in my head for ages. Turned out just as I'd hoped.

      Delete
  10. You are one of THE most enterprising women I know :-) It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the wall color!! The room looks so nice.

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...