Monday, October 25, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


I made it home Monday morning at 11:00.  Nothing felt so good as to cross that Idaho border Sunday night, but it felt even better to pull into my driveway the next day.  I was pooped and exhausted and elated.  I made nice with the kitties and smoothed over their hurt feelings for leaving them.  Lots of hugs and head rubbing seemed to do the trick.  It didn’t' hurt either that I had brought them back a set of catnip toys, which they love.

 


Even though I was pretty tuckered out I took a brief break and then emptied out my car and loaded up my washing machine to start a giant load of laundry.  I got about ninety percent of my stuff put away and all of the laundry done and then it was time to sit in my recliner with the kitties for more apology petting.  I think I am now forgiven.

 

This girl is very happy to have her mom home

I probably should have taken Tuesday off work to recuperate, but I didn't.  I was back to work in the office for a nine and a half hour day and everyone was happy to see me.  We were swamped.  Wednesday morning I had my annual dentist appointment first thing before work and then I put in another full day.  Thursday my boss threw an impromptu pizza party to celebrate my return which was really nice and completely unexpected.  I worked overtime all four days I went in last week, which helped me make up my missed hours for Monday so I won't need to use too many PTO hours.

 


Not only is the workload tremendous, but something weird is going on at the corporate level which has everyone on edge.  Upper management has decided to make some changes and while I personally am not worried, I can't say that for the rest of my crew or the company.  It is surprising that when we are so incredibly short staffed and overwhelmed with work that anyone would want to rock that boat, but I've often questioned some of the decisions made by the top floor.  I've said it before and I said it again this past week that this company is just one big dysfunctional family.  We'll see what shakes out.

 


I hadn't done any real grocery shopping all month so Saturday morning the young one and I headed out with list in hand, digital coupons loaded and a plan.  We hit up all four of our favorite stores - Fred Meyer, Albertson's, Winco & Trader Joe's.  It worked out perfectly as we were able to not only shop for October, but November too.  We pretty much have Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals covered plus all of our holiday baking supplies.  And we did some prepper pantry stock up as well.  She was pretty excited about it and so was I.

 

I had a $2 OFF digital coupon for this roast

The worst part of all that shopping is having to haul it into the house and then get it all put away, but we managed it just fine.  My daughter headed off to work and I headed into the craft room for some well earned rest and relaxation.  I made a few Christmas cards and a huge mess, but I am always happy when I am doing that.

 


THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Soup & sandwiches, Hoisin chicken w/rice & broccoli, potstickers w/Miso soup & salad, grilled tuna sandwiches.

 

I stocked up on canned goods

THINGS I CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS:  My darling daughter had gone through the entire house and had it clean and tidy when I got home so I didn't have much to do at all last week. 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room - Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - two large loads of laundry.

 


THINGS I DID TO SAVE A SMALL BUNDLE OF $$:  I made a big batch of foaming hand soap refill solution and filled up four of our dispensers.  We downloaded a gob of digital coupons for loss leader items and freebies at the grocery stores.  We shopped the sales and stocked up accordingly.

 

Holiday items on sale

How was your thrifty week?

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safely. Don’t try to make up for lost time in one day, girl!! I hope you got some answers and are feeling better! Sweet that work gave you a party. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!
    I know you are glad to be home, and I know your girls and kitties are glad you are home too! What cute kitties, and I'll have to remember those kitty toys for the cats stocking. How sweet of your girl to make sure the house was all clean for your return.
    Sounds like an exhausting week. I never understand why corporate does the things they do, but how nice of your boss to welcome you back with a pizza party.
    Great deals and stocking up! I'm hoping for a sale on canned goods around here soon.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you are back safe and sound! Take care of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it back home safely! You sure stay busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! Too busy, I need to do something about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...