Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Extreme Cheapskates On TLC – The Series


Did you watch? 

Last year TLC aired a one hour special entitled Extreme Cheapskates.  Now they have made a series and last night aired their premiere episodes.  I watched simply out of curiosity. 

They profiled three people and all I could say was Wow!  Holy Cow!  Oh my gosh!  Ewww!  and Gross! 

I am not fond of cheapskates.  I don’t even like what the word means.  I realize some may need to live this way out of necessity but to do so by choice makes me wonder if there isn’t a little psychological disorder involved, similar to hoarding.  I think any extreme behavior probably is. 

·         Waiting an entire week to flush your toilet.
·         Washing your clothes while you shower so you don’t have to use a washing machine.
·         Serving foods to your guests picked from a dumpster.
·         Asking your date to share a kid’s meal and then asking your server for a “to go” box so you can bring home extra condiments. 

I think anytime you take condiments and napkins from a restaurant that you don’t intend to use for the meal you purchased you are stealing.  Do you agree? 

One man they profiled is so cheap his family is embarrassed and uncomfortable on a regular basis.  Their home is poorly furnished and he borrows his son’s clothes to dress for a special occasion. 

Anytime you inflict distress on your family and make them miserable in their surroundings and daily life you are obviously not doing something right.  And at the same time to boast about all your hidden savings accounts totaling well over $100,000 – what’s the point?  He’ll probably never spend it or never need to with his current lifestyle. 

Hey, I am all about savings, thrift, limiting our consumption and simplifying my life, but not at the expense of someone’s happiness and wellbeing. 

Will I watch again?  Probably.  It’s like a train wreck you just can’t pass up and I’m sure TLC was banking on that. 

What are your thoughts about cheapskates?  If you watched, what did you think of the show?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...