Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Garden Is All Done

 
We have had a few good frosts this past week and chilly, chilly mornings.  We’ve also had a lot of much needed and prayed for rain.  On Thursday the fog was so thick it made for an eerie and somewhat treacherous drive to school that morning.  I am not complaining about the weather one bit, however.

On Sunday the final squash plants were pulled, we got one more zucchini by the way, and the garden beds mulched and laid to rest.  They are now prepared for their long winter’s nap. 

Next we had to rake up the lawn.  It was covered in seed pods shed by our maple tree, I think it’s a maple anyway.  While oldest daughter did homework and practiced her clarinet the young one and I slaved away outdoors.  I even got a blister on my thumb from the rake, right through my gloves.  Sniff. 

Can I tell you that the very next day the lawn was covered in leaves again?  Typical fall. 

We started up a fire in the chiminea and burned up my awaiting bag of “shreddables” I had collected over the summer and as a result of some more purging.  We also burned up some of our little wood pile, mostly scraps left from building the chicken coop.  It made for a nice relaxing time on the deck Sunday afternoon after a morning of frenzied activity.  Oldest one did join us for that. 

The tomatoes we picked have almost all ripened on the kitchen counter.  Wednesday I cooked up another pan of stewed tomatoes and got those into the freezer before dashing off to work.  The final remnants of our summer garden. 

It is almost November though and we are still eating from our garden.  How nifty is that? 

And…does anyone else think this week went buy tremendously fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...