Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Prepper Pantry - Pasta Sauce

 




Right now it is a bit difficult to find certain canned goods and the prices on them have nearly doubled on many.  Tomato products have been particularly affected and out tomato plants in our garden did not take off this year.  However I have been able to find and stock up on some #10 cans of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato puree.

 


A couple months ago when I bought my first lot of #10 cans I was also able to get some good buys on ground beef and sausage.  I decided it would be prudent to put up a couple batches of homemade pasta sauce so I opened up a couple of those giant cans and got to work.  I made my usual recipe only on a much grander scale and allowed it to slow cook all day before I packed it into sterilized jars and canned it in my pressure canner.  I was able to put up twenty jars of pasta sauce by the time all was said and done.

 


I must say I do enjoy the convenience of having pint jars filled with delicious homemade pasta sauce.  It is super easy to grab one out of the pantry whenever we need to prepare a quick meal.  We will boil up some pasta or gnocchi and drain that, then in the same pot I heat up the pasta sauce and once it boils add the pasta or gnocchi back in, give it all a toss and we are ready to go.

 


My daughter is able to have her supper and plenty leftover for her lunch for the next day or two.  I am also able to use this sauce in some of my keto meals too which helps me out as I find myself often preparing two different meals to accommodate everyone's needs and schedules.  Another win for our pantry!

 

 

6 comments:

  1. If I had my canner, I would can spaghetti sauce. I could freeze it, couldn't I? I could eat spaghetti sauce on something every day, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even good on a slice of toast! Before I got my canner I would put it in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. Would you being willing to post some of the Keto recipes that you use?
    Thank You
    Karon
    Paso Robles, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of mine are posted. Click on the highlighted words. Those are links. :o)

      Delete
  3. How long do you pressure can the pasta sauce with meat?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...