Monday, December 28, 2020

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


My last thrifty post for 2020 and it almost makes me sad.  Almost.  The truth of the matter is I am very much looking forward to 2021, not unlike a lot of people, and I have very high hopes for the year ahead.  But the reality is I am going to just take it one day at a time.  If 2020 taught me nothing else, things don't always go according to plan, not that I am complaining at all.  However, I will continue to prepare and hope the best for our future and be present and enjoy each day in the meantime.  Every day we have is precious.

 


Last Sunday I was very much present and enjoyed the day in my craft room sorting, organizing and making a gob of thank you and Valentine's Day cards.  I found it very calming and therapeutic, even the sorting and organizing part.  I was very happy in my little crafting zone.

 

My Cash & Carry haul

That same afternoon the young one and I made a quick trip to Cash & Carry to pick up a few items and that was the extent of any grocery shopping that needed to be done.  When we got home I finished up a load of laundry and made a few more cards.  Then it was time for supper and we watched a movie afterward.  Pretty quiet day for us.

 


Monday my oldest came home for Christmas.  I was extremely happy to have both of my girls home for the holiday.  Since my youngest had to work that evening the oldest and I got busy and dipped pretzels which completed all of our co-worker gifts we needed.  I had picked up the dipping chocolate last year on clearance and recently grabbed a bag of pretzels at the grocery store for just over a dollar.  We dipped pretzels and visited for a couple of hours.  Some we left plain and others were decorated with sprinkles (purchased last year on clearance) I had in the cupboard.

 


I had some Christmas treat bags in our gift wrap stash that were part of a thrift store grab bag I bought for a couple dollars about two years or so ago.  They were brand new and still in their original packaging.  We dipped a lot of pretzels and still had a quarter of the bag left as well as half of the dipping chocolate.  For about $2 we had more than enough pretzels to put in nine of the little treat bags and give out.  I put the rest of the dipping chocolate up in a sealed bag so we'll have plenty to use again next year.

 

Co-worker gifts

Tuesday morning I took my treat bags in and passed them out to my co-workers and the girls passed some out to their friends.  It was nice to be able to spread a little bit of Christmas joy.

 

Homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing

Christmas Eve and Christmas day were wonderful and I will share more details tomorrow including the gifts that I had made up for my girls that have had me all excited since summer.  They LOVED them!  They were also very surprised.

 


I finished off the week the same way I began by spending a the majority of Saturday organizing my craft supplies, including some new ones I got for Christmas as well as making more greeting cards.  It was a cold, wet and rainy day so it was nice to stay inside and work on my little projects.

 


I did take a break and go to an antique shop where I purchased a milk glass lamp shade to replace one that had been broken for awhile.  Our kitty Stella swiped it with her tail one day and sent it sailing.  This one is heavier so I think it will be much harder for her to do that again.  I hope so anyway.  I think the new one is prettier anyway and I'm very happy with it.

 


How was your thrifty week?

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear about your Christmas and the gifts. I always look forward to your posts. I wish you and your family a Happy New Year and yes one day at a time is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and your girls too Candace. I'm excited for 2021. :)

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty milk glass lampshade. I was thrifty as I mostly stayed out of stores except for a few Christmas bargains at 50%.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...