Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Our Christmas 2020

 


Hard to believe another Christmas is in the books already.  I hope all of you enjoyed a wonderful and very happy holiday.  Our Christmas was absolutely that and I couldn't have been more pleased.  I worked on Christmas Eve which I didn't mind at all.  My youngest daughter did too although I think she would've preferred to have had the day off.

 

Our favorite version

When I got home I got busy and set the table with our lovely holiday china and the new gold flatware I got this year.  Then it was time to start our usual Christmas Eve supper of clam chowder, garlic cheddar biscuits and a nice green salad.  Normally after dinner we would drive around and look at Christmas lights.  This year we decided to stay home and watch A Christmas Carol and relax.

 

Homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing


and dinner rolls

Christmas morning I was up early as was my oldest.  I started coffee and some dough in my bread machine.  Half the dough was used to make cinnamon rolls and the rest for dinner rolls.  Once my youngest was up we open our gifts and my girls spoiled me rotten.  I got embossing folders and more dies, a clock that has a barometer, moon phases and a thermometer on it, reusable produce bags and candles.  My daughter's boyfriend got me some scrapbook papers which I thought was very thoughtful.

 


The girls got each other some lovely gifts as well, but the gift that shocked and surprised them the most was a vintage aluminum pot I found for each of them on eBay last summer just like the one I have.  The girls have squabbled, playfully, over who will get that pot when I die.  They love my pot and we use it to cook many, many things.  We even take it camping with us.  So when I found a couple of them on eBay for a price I was willing to pay I jumped on it.

 

Aluminum dutch ovens from the 1950s

I also filled them up with towels, pot holders, dish cloths, oven mitts and scrub sponges.  My oldest was thrilled because she has been wanting to make chicken and dumplings but doesn't have a pot big enough to make it in.  My youngest was happy because she has one for when she moves out on her own in the not too distant future.




Along with the pots I got them other things on their wish list too.  My oldest has wanted a set of hot rollers forever and my youngest is very artistic so watercolor makers were something she has been wanting.

 

We have really enjoyed our Christmas china & flatware this year

NY Strip steaks, grilled shrimp, salad, scalloped potatoes & rolls

We enjoyed the day with Christmas music and good food and played with our "toys".  Sadly, my oldest had to go home after supper because she had to be at work the next day.  After she left we finished off the day by playing Uno and a game of Scrabble.  Then it was off to bed for a good nights sleep.

 


A simple Christmas with time well spent, classic Christmas music, easy to prepare meals and gifts that we all appreciated and know we will use for a good long time.  It was a very good holiday.  How was yours?  Please feel free to share in the comments about your day.

 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas!! I love the dutch ovens you got for your girls and filling them with things like towels is such a great idea!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so surprised. I love that they love this kind of stuff. Even at their young age they recognize the quality of some of these older things.

      Delete
  2. Our Christmas was very similar both in gifts and atmosphere. Youngest found me a vintage, enamel coated cast iron double boiler! (I ruined mine by making candles.) I found eldest some Pfaltzgraff tankards in the pattern (Village) we found years ago for a song at Goodwill, which he has claimed as his own for when he has his own place. DH got me a really nice springform pan--my old one had seen better days. I had warned the kids that it was going to be a very moderate Christmas, as we have so many irons in the fire, but once the gifts were placed under the tree, they about fell over themselves at the sight, and laughed at my idea of "moderate." You see, I pick up things all year long at great prices, and tuck them away for gifts...favorite shampoos, toothpastes, hoodies, pajama bottoms, boxer shorts, really nice socks and the like. I'm not sure I've done "Christmas Shopping" per se for a good number of years, to the point that my "budget" is little more than my monthly grocery $. Youngest made a point after dinner of stating words to the effect of "I love how I have money saving parents who don't have to worry about providing a Christmas for their kids. This was awesome." I think, however, what they really found "awesome" was far more than the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Meg this warms my heart. You and I are likely cut from the same cloth and our children too. I shop and prepare all year too and it really does make for affordable and "moderate" Christmases. I wouldn't have it any other way. :0)

      Delete
    2. Meg, what a lovely sentiment, both that your kids notice that aspect & respect it & that you are living by such a positive example. Win/win!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful Christmas! It sounded lovely. Like Meg above I too picked up favorite things for my girls - my youngest especially likes the specialty noodles from our local Asian store. I picked up several varieties and she had a large gift bag full. The girl LOVES her noodles (and rice too for that matter).

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...